The Scarlet Letter Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

The Scarlet Letter Flymph

Post by Roadkill » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:16 am

This variation of my Hare & Copper Flymph is dedicated to the Puritan Hester Prynne.
No bead, no Tron- just silk, rabbit, ribbing wire,& feather. ;) :)

ImageIMGP3473 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
daringduffer

Re: The Scarlet Letter Flymph

Post by daringduffer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:59 am

Teaser Roadkill is breeding flies for fishing. :D If my memory serves me, Leisenring used split shot on his leader to get down deep without 'killing' the movement of his fly. Weight on the hook was a no-no. Since translucence was important to L/H, they might have used synthetic shucks these days. What do I know?

dd
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:53 pm

In Oregon's Fly Fishing Only waters, until recently any weight on the leader used to be a no-no. All weight had to be on the flies just as it is in some of the International Fly Fishing Competitions, which leads to the weighted Czech nymphs etc..
Last edited by Roadkill on Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:39 pm

The purist has to dive with his fly to make his Leisenring lift from the depth then. Or resort to the subsurface swing after casting upstream and waiting for it to sink. What is the world coming to?

It's all right with me since I fish for grayling that don't mind rising from the bottom to inhale flies fished on, in or just below the surface film, in spite of being bottom huggers. The larger grayling aren't always that cooperative but they have to tie and fish their weighted nymphs themselves. I don't either care or cater for them. This doesn't make me a better person. Maybe a lesser fisherman though.

dd
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:48 pm

This one I like and I bet it will fish just as well as the one with synthetic. Our forefathers had plenty of glass seed beads available, I’m wondering how long back copper bead were available?
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either