Prairie Chicken and Twisted Silk

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Prairie Chicken and Twisted Silk

Post by tie2fish » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:42 am

Continuing on a theme, here is another pattern using two strands of silk thread in contrasting colors to create an evenly segmented body.

Hook : Vintage Mustad 3101 Size #12, Limerick bend, straight eye
Tying thread: Pearsall's Gossamer silk #10, ash
Hackle: Hen Prairie chicken (thanks to "dougsden" Doug)
Body: Pearsall's silk thread strands #10 (ash) and #9 (black) twisted together, sparingly dubbed with hare's ear, and wound around the hook so they produce alternating bands of color

Prairie Chicken and Twisted Silk.JPG
Prairie Chicken and Twisted Silk.JPG (71 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Boarmountain

Re: Prairie Chicken and Twisted Silk

Post by Boarmountain » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:12 am

I like that!
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:03 pm

I'm loving these "collaboration patterns". Congratulations to you and Doug, for combining resources and talent to create something special. Great stuff, on many levels.

That prairie chicken hackle is nice stuff!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm

I really like the mottled rusty dun color of the prairie chicken hackle. Where might one snag a prairie chicken skin? I gather they are fairly rare except for a swath in the middle of country, and I've not seen them for sale. --Phil
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:55 pm

PhilA wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:28 pm I really like the mottled rusty dun color of the prairie chicken hackle. Where might one snag a prairie chicken skin? I gather they are fairly rare except for a swath in the middle of country, and I've not seen them for sale. --Phil
See: https://www.projectupland.com/prairie-c ... hunting-2/
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi guys!
I provided the pile of coal and Bill produced the diamond! His tying skills are exceptional as we all know! Notice the ultra fine dusting of Hares Ear along the entire body! So gorgeous and down-right buggy looking! Consistent results, constant refining, talent beyond description....we are so glad that you call us friends dear Bill! Thank you for what you do!
The Prairie Chicken that I have is a gift from a now deceased friend, Paul Marty, who owned property in Iowa. The first year I heard of his coming and going to that great state, he brought back four hens which I plucked and dried and stored. Sorrowfully, no pheasants made the trip! The wings seem to be where the usable hackles are found! You are right, the coloration is mystical and almost glowing in certain lights! Come to think of it, I don't know that I have ever seen P.C. in any of the catalogs that I own and frequent! Good golly, what in the world do I own? Something rare and wonderful?
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:53 pm

Awesome patt, Bill. Good thinking. There are a bazillion bugs in summer displaying the alternating bands -- the many species of wee sweat bees found around water come immediately to mind. Inspiring work.