Partridge and Blue. Mole colour effect

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Re: Partridge and Blue. Mole colour effect

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 am

As a scientist in heart and on paper as well as a fly fisherman, I've come to learn over the years that we often over complicate and chase false paths in trying to understand them especially in the operation of natural situations. As a fly fisherman, I have found I am completely content with correlations and experience over time. Blue works good for me in very clear water, not so much in off color water. :). I'm good with that and I will be tying more orange flies to try for my local river.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Stendalen

Post by Stendalen » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:08 pm

After this really nice discussion thread, one one my tasks the upcoming season will be to catch a nice trout on this blue fly. And provide you all with photo proof :D wish me luck...

Old Hat wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:14 am As a scientist in heart and on paper as well as a fly fisherman, I've come to learn over the years that we often over complicate and chase false paths in trying to understand them especially in the operation of natural situations. As a fly fisherman, I have found I am completely content with correlations and experience over time. Blue works good for me in very clear water, not so much in off color water. :). I'm good with that and I will be tying more orange flies to try for my local river.
"...because it enriches my soul..."
https://www.facebook.com/stendalenflyfish/
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:38 am

I have been tying flies for over 45 years and with the exception of a few streamers I have never tied a blue fly. Your pattern does look interesting and based on the discussion I may have to try a few blue thoraxed soft hackles. As far as finding blue Peasrsalls.......
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm

I believe you still can get blue Pearsall gossamer here http://www.flyhookfiller.se/flugbindnin ... ullar.html

Just send him an email and ask, if interested. He takes paypal and you can order via email.

See the list in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7841&p=89046#p89046 I don't know how much he has left but it's easy to find out.

dd
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:43 pm

I tried to tie a blue fly today; I've even got the requisite Pearsall's blue. I sat and stared at the hook in the vise, bobbin in hand for what seemed like hours. I couldn't do it. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow...
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:07 pm

Mike62, Howdy;

:lol: , :lol: , :lol:

Sometimes doing something new is a gawd-awful mind bending exercise.
Better luck next go... ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:05 pm

Old Hat wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:22 pm Cool. Thanks for the diagrams Martin. I had a feeling that was the case just never took the time to confirm it. Orange in the murky water? I can use that info here in Florida we have a lot of tannic stained rivers and creeks. Blue was a great color on the Metolius River in Oregon.

That last sentence was for ronr and Roadkill.
Carl... thanks for the tip... plus you notice that there is a good bit of blue in those crab flies I sent...
NJpatbee

Post by NJpatbee » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:43 pm

daringduffer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm I believe you still can get blue Pearsall gossamer here http://www.flyhookfiller.se/flugbindnin ... ullar.html

Just send him an email and ask, if interested. He takes paypal and you can order via email.

See the list in this post viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7841&p=89046#p89046 I don't know how much he has left but it's easy to find out.

dd
Thanks
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:23 pm

NJpatbee wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:43 pm
daringduffer wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 pm I believe you still can get blue Pearsall gossamer here http://www.flyhookfiller.se/flugbindnin ... ullar.html

dd
Thanks
The pleasure is mine.

dd