Martini Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

UC Steve

Re: Martini Flymph

Post by UC Steve » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:52 am

Roadkill wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 am Thanks Steve!

I think many modern tiers ignore the value and availability of wool. After all it was a proven staple in historic wet fly tying. A trip to a yarn shop can set you up for blending your own dubbing and giving it away for years. ;) :lol:
My wife & daughter-in-law are a constant source. There was a time hunting, the barnyard, roadkill, & my wife's basket supplied most of what I had. And I know I caught just as many fish then. Easily. Now there's an argument for the presentationist.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:17 pm

I think many modern tiers ignore the value and availability of wool. After all it was a proven staple in historic wet fly tying. A trip to a yarn shop can set you up for blending your own dubbing and giving it away for years. ;) :lol:
Agreed.
Bob
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:53 pm

couldn't resist.... stole Bill's idea...
Roadkill's Martini Spider and Roadkill's Martini Soft Hackle
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_694.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_694.jpeg (146.33 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
fullsizeoutput_692.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_692.jpeg (129.44 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:04 pm

:D Nice!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Spent a very nice day on the river with Roadkill today... I can report the Martini Flymph is a certified fish catcher... after several trout and a couple whitefish the fly looks as good as new, and the army blanket wool looks fabulous wet...Thanks Bill for the gift of the Martini and a great day of fishing...

Sorry to bring this up when so many of you guys up north are shivering in the polar vortex, but just saying, one has to fish when one can.
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:15 am

I agree. I bought a complete set of Antron wool for blending and tying Gary LaFontaine’s flies. I use it for other patterns as well
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:16 pm

One correction, it is Ron's Martini Spider and it is a proven fish catcher as well in the same frigid water yesterday! ;) Ron had the hot rod on the water yesterday with some more of the flies off his tying table! I need to find some small red pimentos ;) to make ronr's Spider.

A fine winter's day and I got to fish some new water with my guide Ron and his friend Steven. 8-) First time out as well with my Rainbow Warrior and Rootbeer Soft Hackles, they also counted coup on Rainbows and Whitefish.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:28 pm

Ron,

Here is my version of your Martini Soft Hackle that I will tie at the NW Expo on Friday...

ImageIMGP5843 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:06 am

Bill ,
I wish I was going to be there to watch... up until our snow blast, that red bead had accounted for a bunch of nice trout on the Crooked. The Martini will have an ongoing spot in my box since I found a nice green dyed partridge skin...