Partridge & Yellow

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Re: Partridge & Yellow

Post by PhilA » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:06 pm

dd,
Thanks for that link and the correction about coch-y-bonddu dates. A fly identical to the Coch-y-Bonddu (peacock body, red-black hackle) goes under many different names well back into the 1700s. But, the name for the hackle and the Coch-y-Bonddu fly itself came later. The only thing more confusing than the hackle on a Greenwell's Glory is the spelling of "coch-y-bonddu"!

Phil
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:21 pm

I’m wondering if there’s anyone that has a Coch-y-Bonddu cape that is willing to sell half a dozen feathers?
I’m guessing the spelling for Cochybondu might be Welsh, a strange language for this Englishman! Any Welshmen out there that could comment?
Cheers
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:27 pm

Bazzer69 wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:21 pm I’m wondering if there’s anyone that has a Coch-y-Bonddu cape that is willing to sell half a dozen feathers?
I’m guessing the spelling for Cochybondu might be Welsh, a strange language for this Englishman! Any Welshmen out there that could comment?
Cheers
I might have answered this for myself with this result from a google search. Seems it might be Welsh for red with a black center. No mention of black tips, a red herring?( no pun intended)
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/cockabondy
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:25 pm

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 pm

I have a Whiting Silver Grade Genetic Hen cape listed as furnace but is CBU. I found it on the wall the last time I was at Jim's. It must have slipped through when he was busy cooking.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:35 am

Phil, I had no besserwisser intentions with my post, I just dug up previous discussions from the forum. I put in a lot of effort in typing that long quote from Elder since I have no scanner. Given the opportunity to recycle the post, I couldn't resist :) . Regarding the spelling of c-y-b, I use several. Mostly the one that pops up first. I do think that the one Bill Bailey linked to is the one with most support today. So do you, as it seems ;) . Me too.

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:40 am

Old Hat wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 pm I have a Whiting Silver Grade Genetic Hen cape listed as furnace but is CBU. I found it on the wall the last time I was at Jim's. It must have slipped through when he was busy cooking.
Very old hat, looks like some information is missing here; CBU - what does that mean? And your photo didn't show up.

CBU = c-y-b???

:?: :?: 8-)

dd
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:55 am

Result of some more digging: https://www.archive.org/stream/naturalt ... 5/mode/2up

Link to PDF version: http://www.archive.org/details/naturalt ... 00westrich

(Recycling previous forum information).

Notice the shape of the cockerel hackle. Might this be a reason for Leisenring's/Hidy's appreciation of this stage of rooster hackles? Softness and shape?

And what has this to do with partridge or yellow? You tell me. I dig these swaying discussions.

dd
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am

CBU - my own abbreviation because typing out the whole word declares war on my spell check.

I didn’t include a photo. The cape is not photogenic. I’m not a saver of material.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:39 am

Old Hat wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:57 am CBU - my own abbreviation because typing out the whole word declares war on my spell check.

I didn’t include a photo. The cape is not photogenic. I’m not a saver of material.
Carl, I know you didn't include a photo but I was hoping for one since I am a curious person. And CBU worked fairly well since I guessed it meant c-y-b. And you are a user of material. ;)

dd