Blue Winged Olive

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: Blue Winged Olive

Post by daringduffer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:12 am

And if you dig in my end of the world, the baetis is some kind of olive; for example Large Dark Olive - Baetis rhodani, and BWO is what used to be Ephemerella ignita, now renamed to Seratella ignita. This isn't a problem unless you want to know exactly what people are talking about. Some catch fish without beeing able to know if Baetis pumilus is an insect or a hip hop artist. But knowledge isn't a heavy burden. Sometimes it can even be of help. :shock: :)

dd
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:15 am

I used to be into the name game - now, what’s on the water comes out of the box.........I USUALLY have a relatively good idea of what’s about to come off......if not, I sit back, light the pipe, and watch the water roll by.....always makes for a great day!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Boarmountain

Post by Boarmountain » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:14 am

Here is my Baetis flymph
Mike B.
International, North American, National champion taxidermist specializing in "catch & release" fish mounts
Custom bamboo and glass rods
www.prairiedrifter.com
Trifly

Post by Trifly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:17 am

Boarmountain wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:14 am Image

Here is my Baetis flymph
That will do the trick.
SenecaLaker

Post by SenecaLaker » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:31 pm

Theroe wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:15 am I used to be into the name game - now, what’s on the water comes out of the box.........I USUALLY have a relatively good idea of what’s about to come off......if not, I sit back, light the pipe, and watch the water roll by.....always makes for a great day!
I'm in the Theroe Camp really when it comes to bugs. Certain times of year on a familiar stream or area, things repeat themselves. If you know what to expect, it makes fly selection a bit easier.

I am a horticulturist, however, and have to agree with Bob in regards to Latin, it is generally the only way to accurately identify plant material as common names are very regional. A recent thread about hardwoods showed me that Ironwood in California was a much different plant than what we call ironwood in Michigan.

Dave
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:26 pm

I am in no camp when it comes to bugs, or whatever. But when I am discussing bugs, or whatever, I find it easier to participate in the discussion when I know what we discuss. Or when I as a newcomer read about the importance of the spinnerfalls; if I had sat down waiting for it to happen when our most important specie Baetis rhodani were egglaying, I would still be waiting, since they - as Bob pointed out - climb down into the water to lay their eggs. And my aim is not to teach as much as to learn.

dd
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Here are a couple of mine:

I overdress the CDC for the pocket water on the Ausable--if I find a slick or an eddy I'll sometimes just use my fingernails to pinch off some CDC to make the fly more sparse.

I fish both of these in the film, and a couple of inches down. I know the CDC isn't a traditional soft hackle, but when it gets wet, it sure does behave like one.

bb
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm a pipe and sit guy; I have to remind myself to watch. I'm not going to learn Latin at this point in the festivities. If I'm paying attention I then adjust my tackle to fit perhaps the 'dark green ones' or maybe 'the wicked little brown ones'. Sometimes paying attention is too much work and I'm happy with a reasonably educated guess.
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:06 pm

This has become to difficult! BWO A mayfly pretty small with a green body and a blue wing. The most common in the world! Now can any one guess what a OWS is?

Tom!
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:23 pm

To be clear, I'm not advocating the wholesale use of Latin for fly names. I'd much rather call a fly a Hendrickson than Ephemeralla subvaria. The term BWO is so overused, though that you need some way to distinguish. I'm just as happy with what the hatch chart from Dette flies does -- call cornutas Blue Wing Olives and baetis Little Blue Wing Olives:

https://detteflies.com/pages/hatch-chart

, but that might not be understood everywhere.

upstatetrout wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:06 pm This has become to difficult! BWO A mayfly pretty small with a green body and a blue wing.
Cornutas aren't particularly little -- size 14 is usual.
Last edited by redietz on Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob