Blue Winged Olive

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

hankaye

Re: Blue Winged Olive

Post by hankaye » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:25 pm

Howdy All;
upstatetrout wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:06 pm This has become to difficult! BWO A mayfly pretty small with a green body and a blue wing. The most common in the world! Now can any one guess what a OWS is?

Tom!
I have a difficult enough time with my native tongue (Amuricanized), English. So my best guess
as to an answer upstatetrout's question; " Now can any one guess what a OWS is? "
My guess is a dyslexic attempt as SOW ??? :roll: , :? .

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 pm

In Britain it’s not unknown to take a pub break for a pint or two and then have a bit of a kip next to the water you intend to fish later in the day. Now that’s what I call civilized fishing
Barry
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:03 pm

Orange Winged Sulphur!!!!
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
Bazzer69

Post by Bazzer69 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:06 am

What a nice description of a BWO
Bazza
Love both fly fishing and fly tying, been doing it for a while
But not much good at either
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:29 am

And for practical purposes (here in Sweden) we distinguish between Baetis rhodani (size 14, 16) and small baetis (size 18, 20 or so) of which there are several and you need a microscope and a lot of knowledege to know who is who. And when you know your water, you also know what flies to expect.But we never speak of BWO. We either say 'röd strömslända' or 'ignita'. And then there are all the other mayflies. The Swedish names tell you what colour they have and what kind of stream they (mostly) appear in (the pace of the stream). You can deduce whether they are swimmers or crawlers, for example.

This isn't an exact explanation, more this is kind of how it is, or what it has become like the last few decades. Mostly, I suppose, to avoid having to use latin names. They are awkward to most people.

dd
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 am

Bazzer69 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:59 pm In Britain it’s not unknown to take a pub break for a pint or two and then have a bit of a kip next to the water you intend to fish later in the day. Now that’s what I call civilized fishing
Barry
A two pint respite? Nice! I like your style. After the second pint I'd be happy chucking a bass plug. Drowning a couple of cans (they're lighter to pack out than glass) in the stream is about as civilized as we get here.
REE04419

Post by REE04419 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:53 am

Every now and again I've been known to don my tweed cap, grab my 7'6" 4 weight cane rod along with the Baby Ballan reel, loaded with a hand made silk line and go fishing. Fish the morning rise, stop about noon and spread my line over some bushes to dry and have a short nap stream side. Upon waking, make a spot of tea, have a nice sandwich, read a chapter or two of a good book, redress my line and fish the evening rise. I am on the lookout for a tweed jacket that matches the hat, along with a nice vest and ascot.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:06 am

REE, Howdy;

Please be sure to post a photo of yourself in full fishing get-up.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
ronr

Post by ronr » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:08 am

quill body hot spot.JPG
quill body hot spot.JPG (254.71 KiB) Viewed 2418 times
[attachment=0]

This forum is amazing...look what results from a simple question about BWO's.....multiple links,(more stuff for me to read) multiple samples, and great discussion..

As for me, I don't care if its a BWO, PMD, OWS, BAETIS, OR PDQ...here in Central Oregon in the winter we have sporadic hatches of very small mayflies and midges. When the fish start rising and eating the mergers, I tie on one of these..
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:31 am

Outstanding fly! That would really do the business around here. What is the that hackle anyhow?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"