Dark Watchett

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

Dark Watchett

Post by flyfishwithme » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Swarbrick (1817 Manuscript) says " No 10 THis is a very small Flie a dark iron collar a blo wich cocks up her wings the feather is Taken from Betwixet a Jackdaws Shoulders made very Small with Oringe and purple Silk twisted Together water rat Down in the Bodey This Flie is cald Watchet" (the spelling and grammar is as it was written)

Turton says (1836 - The Angler's Manual or Fly-Fisher's Oracle) "It is the best fly that can be used for trout and greyling in dark waters"

Pritt says (1885 - Yorkshire Country Flies) "one of the daintiest morsels with which you can tempt a trout and one of the most difficult to imitate successfully"

Lister says (1898 - List of artificial flies) 21. Dark Watchet (iron Blue Dun) "Feather from back of merlin hawk. Head, orange silk. Body, orange a purple twisted together with a little mole's fur. A very small fly but a favourite on cold blustery days. Hook 16"

I say (don't you just like it when you have the power of the pen) - "Fished early in the season when the the days are cold and blustery and the small olives are hatching, it can produce some very special surprises"

This is one the very early flies and it still stands the test of time. Great on the coloured waters that we have in the north of England. I tie mine slightly different:

Hook: Tiemco 103BL
Thread: Uni Thread 6/0 Orange
Rib: Uni Thread 6/0 Purple
Dubbing: Natural mole
Hackle: Jacdaw
(I tie in the orange thread as you would a normal silk body - down and back - catching the purple silk in 2 turns from the end and bringing it back to the eye in turns that will let me place the purple thread between each turn. I then lightly dub the purple silk and take it up towards the eye BETWEEN each turn of the orange.

Enjoy
Hans Weilenmann

Re: Dark Watchett

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Nice one Philip

Cheers,
Hans W
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:54 pm

Beautiful classic! It has been on my "To Tye" list for a while, but I (currently) lack a Jackdaw skin. Thanks for also sharing the historical references. Wonderful to read the background. Thanks for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:03 am

Ooooh!....a grand pattern for sure. Beautiful rendition. Thanks.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:40 am

Very, very nice.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Otter

Post by Otter » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:51 am

Nicel tied Philp, your method certainly makes the job a bit easier.
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:49 am

Very nice tie!
And thanks for the background - contributions like that make
this site really stand out.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi Philip,

thanks for the history and nice tie by the way.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:23 pm

Jim Wynn and Tom Cross said:

(43).DARK WATCHET or IRON BLUE DUN (JW).
Hook: 16
Hackle: Feather from young cock jackdaw or from outside a young rook wing.
Body: Mulberry artificial silk ribbed with orange tying silk.
Head: Blob of orange transparent varnish on the orange tying silk.
The standard dressing of orange and purple silk dubbed with a little mole fur is a good killer but I prefer the mulberry art silk ribbed with orange tying silk. After all, on examination of the natural fly, there is a fair amount of both orange end mulberry about the body and I think the mulberry shade cannot be bettered, especially when the art silk becomes rough, like dubbing, and the orange ribbing shows through. The dry pattern must have a dark blue Andalusian cock hackle of wood quality.

(44). LIGHT WATCHET (JW).
Hook. 16 Hackle. The light bloa feather from the fieldfare back.
Body: Straw coloured silk.
Head: Straw silk.
Use: Dressed very fine and neatly, the fly man won't have any trouble in catching a few trout when this fly appears. It very quickly changes into the spinner and it is in this guise that the angler will be troubled in dressing an imitation.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:01 pm

IMG_1247B.jpg
Philip,
This is such a great looking fly with some great background you've posted. I've sharpened it up a bit. Hope you don't mind. Nice work and thanks for posting it.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S