UV2 Dun

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Trifly

Re: UV2 Dun

Post by Trifly » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Maybe, but if they make it in the colors I like I will keep using it.

Kind of like Chicken Noodle Soup. Doesnt do a thing for your cold but makes you feel better.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:17 am

I have 2 books which made me a believer in UV absorbing colors that I have used in some specific flies.

The first is the Jed Davis book Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon and Trout from 1989. I bought this because I was making my own steelhead spinners and found his information on color visibility at various depths and distances to be fascinating. :idea:

The second is What Fish See: Understanding Optics and Color Shifts for Designing Lures and Flies by Colin J. Kageyama from 1999.
https://www.amazon.com/What-Fish-See-Un ... way&sr=8-1
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:35 pm

There's also "The new scientific angling: Trout and ultraviolet vision" by Reed curry.

Interesting stuff.
Trevis

Post by Trevis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:10 pm

Briefly explain the UV part to an old guy? How much UV is at 3' deep on a moon light night? How do they put UV into materials? Does the UV material look red or blue under water?
I have kinda thought the UV material was to catch fishermen more than fish, but that may be based on the history of most things being aimed at catching fishermen.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:19 pm

In Oregon it is not legal to fish for trout at midnight but if I did I would use a fly with Phosphorescent materials not UV since moonlight is very weak with UV. Once after dark I legally fished for bass in a lake using a fly with a green Phosphorescent bead thorax. It made for some smashing strikes by some rainbows that averaged about 18".

The ram's wool on Tups Indispensable is probably made UV absorbing by the urine. ;) Bleach will make materials very fluorescent, have you have ever seen a white shirt under a black light on a dance floor. I have a great number of UV Fluorescent materials (threads, dubbings, feathers, rubber legs, etc.) shown by a quick pass with a Black Light. My colors run from the blue end of the visible spectrum to the red end.

How does it work? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77QFATapVN0
Trevis

Post by Trevis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:59 pm

Actually it's been way over 4 decades since I was anywhere that had black lights, and since I'd have been on a liberty then, there is a possibility that I might have been somewhat inebriated, so no the results of black lights on white or red shirts didn't register with me.
The video, like all video was hard for me to watch, but I think he said what I already believed about light and fish.
What I didn't get is whether the UV marketing is of florescent materiel or UV reflective material?
Florescent and phosphorescent (some what the same) materials certainly could attract fish, I believe, because some life forms do fluoresce.
I did not know that bleach caused florescence. Does it do that in synthetic stuff as well as cotton? Something for me to research on a sleepless night I guess. I really doubt it was/is urine on tup's fur, unless it was hers and that seems unlikely. But I haven't watched that, so am not completely sure.
Thanks for the help.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:44 pm

UV2 is marketing for both absorbing (Fluorescent) & reflecting UV which I am not convinced about for the same reasons mentioned in the video. Some of the synthetic dubbings like Fine and Dry or Super Fine have some fluorescent colors even in ordinary dubbing selections not labeled as UV. Some even fluoresce in a color shift from ordinary light to UV.

I have a few Black light flashlights that I use to check for fluorescence in materials and to set UV Knot Sense or UV resin finish on Saltwater flies instead of epoxy. The most inexpensive UV flashlights I have found are sold to Bass Fishermen in big box sports stores.