A wet fly bound to raise some hackles ;)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

fly_fischa

A wet fly bound to raise some hackles ;)

Post by fly_fischa » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:06 am

Sushi anyone?
Recently sent a box of simple Sekasa Kebari and Ondori Futsu Kebari to a good friend. Simple to tie and a very different approach to hackling a wet fly using dry fly hackle :shock:
Ondori Futsu Kebari
lashed to a Ahrex Barbless dry fly iron
Body and head are tied using Danvilles Sz A monochord
Hackle is a beautiful Hebert Miner pro cape in a pale Watery Flav :D

Ron Eagle Elk

Re: A wet fly bound to raise some hackles ;)

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am

Those are beautifully tied flies, at least in my opinion. I am assuming they will fish in the film or just below it, with the body hanging below the surface. Really, really nice.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
redietz

Post by redietz » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:32 pm

It seems it already has raised hackles!

That ought to fish.
Bob
RickA

Post by RickA » Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:29 pm

Very Nice!
At first, they looked like a biot body. A monochord is bomb proof!
I also like a stiffer hackle on a wet when fishing fast broken water during a spinner fall.
Browns like those softer waters but there's nothing like a ballistic rainbow in a riffle.
A little bit of Badger in that cape?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Karsten - The dark center list on the hackle adds an extra special touch to the yellow flies. At first I was thinking that you had added a peacock herl thorax, underneath the hackle collar. Extraordinary attention to detail.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:25 am

Thank you all. I forgot that I also used golden badger on the yellow flies :oops:
Who doesn't like a bit of golden badger... I love using it in both wets and dries for the very reason Ray mentioned, the dark centre list creates volume and an impression of a thorax/bulk without needing to dub or wrap a peacock herl...

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:52 am Those are beautifully tied flies, at least in my opinion. I am assuming they will fish in the film or just below it, with the body hanging below the surface. Really, really nice.
Thank you Ron, you're too kind. I'm pretty new to tying and fishing Tenkara flies so certainly no expert. I purchased a beautiful rod and all the essential gear from Chris Stewart @Tenkarabum just over a year ago.
Ondori = Rooster, Futsu = normal/conventional referring to hackle orientation and Kebari = fishing fly, at least that's my understanding.

The use of rooster hackle on a wet fly is a new one to me but an intriguing one. The aim is to tie the hackle collar sparse and slightly undersized, Gap width to 1.25 times the gap. It would be great if someone experienced like Chris could chime in here but from my experience and reading the dry fly hackle acts as a kind of grappling hook.

When fishing and casting a fly in tenkara most of the time it's desirable for the fly to land first and to keep the thin line off the water. The stiff hackle kind of anchors the fly a little more and stops it from getting pulled towards the angler by the weight of the line. The other advantage as you noted is being able to fish it higher in the water column and slowing the descent of the fly if that's desired.
Last edited by fly_fischa on Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:36 am

Another example of the that effect that's a bit less pronounced on these large size 8 Sekasa Kebari.
The hackle is from a Whitings CDL versa pack...
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:11 am

Karsten - that Miner cape is a beauty: translucent barbs!!! Very difficult to find, yet one of the most important traits hackle should have.

Well done pattern(s) too!!!

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
swellcat

Post by swellcat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:48 pm

As it used to be said of effective flies, your photography is killing.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:34 am

These are just simply beautiful Karsten. Really wonderful tying and renditions of this style. The color choice is perfect. Here is a great hackle chart I found quite a few years ago that may help some people out on the Tenkara flies.
Kebari hacklingredux.jpg
Kebari hacklingredux.jpg (108.58 KiB) Viewed 3883 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com