What do you use to get fly down in water column

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

raven4ns

What do you use to get fly down in water column

Post by raven4ns » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:09 pm

Hello,
Over the years I have resisted using weighted flies, sink tip lines or lead shot on my leader. At this time of year many trout are in deeper pools and won't necessarily move too far for a meal. I was wondering what many of you use to get your fly down deeper. Perhaps there is a method that works to accomplish this without the use of weights. If not, then I need to re-evaluate my reasons for not using beads etc. Thank you.
All the best,

Tim
https://www.flickr.com/photos/44673530@N04/
The measure of a man is not how many times he gets knocked down, but how many times he gets back up.
Old Hat

Re: What do you use to get fly down in water column

Post by Old Hat » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:47 pm

Tim, I've gone to carrying a few beads in my fly box and then just slipping them over the leader attached to whatever unweighted fly I want.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:21 pm

The sink rate (depth/time) is dependent on the drag coefficient (slower decent rate). In simple terms, the more streamlined the pattern itself is, the faster a pattern will sink... Patterns with a bushy profile (fuzzy dubbing profiles) create more drag, and tend to sink more slowly. Conversely, a smooth [streamlined) profile tend to sink at a faster rate (due to less drag) and will generally fish deeper during the drift. It is one of the reasons I like trying a range of “buggyness” profiles. Fairly “smooth” profile patterns (like POP) have a narrow profile, tending to sink more quickly and fish more deeply when compared to a bushy pattern. For this reason, carrying a range of flies (fishingdepths) is helpful.

The nice thing about a streamlined pattern, is the ability to them fish the fly more deeply during the drift (presents the fly as a nymph rising to the surface, at the tail end of the drift - rising emerged behavior). On the other hand, a bushy pattern tends to drift more naturally with the micro currents (balance with the drag, microcurrents & inertia forces on a fly).

Fly profile, can be an important tool in fly pattern design and emulation of natural movement.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
driftless

Post by driftless » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 pm

Split shot.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:04 pm

Split shot, and or beads .
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:25 am

99% of the time I employ what Ray described matched with heavy hooks. That won't won't get it down to the bottom of deep holes for winter fishing though. If I have to go there, then the bead is and easy option.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:15 am

For different conditions, I use upstream casts, shot, wire, beads, dumbbell eyes, heavy hooks, tool flies, add on tips in various lengths made from T-14, and lines from: sink tips, intermediate to deep water express. ;)
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:48 am

In addition to the above suggestions, try a wire wrapped underbody with a heavier hook.
redietz

Post by redietz » Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:54 am

If I absolutely must get down in the water column (which is seldom) I now use a a sinking leader (Versitip, for example.)
Bob