Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

nfrechet

Bradshaw's Fancy

Post by nfrechet » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:51 am

Flytiers sure have a way at making things difficult
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Bradshaw's Fancy

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:38 pm

Impeccable dressing, Norm. Got to look that one up. Intriguing to say the least.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:06 pm

Nice fly. John Roberts describes it like this:

"The Yorkshire Dales angler, Henry Bradshaw devised this late-season trout fly in the 1880s. It is a credit to its attraction that it is in widespread use today, principally as a grayling fly. He fished in the company of T.E. Pritt and Francis Walbran, and the latter described this pattern as 'a nailer for grayling wherever it is used'. It is fished wet or dry but usually as the point on a three-fly cast.

Dressing:

Hook: 14 -16 Code L3A or E6A (dry); CS7, A or G3A (wet)

Thread: Purple

Tag: Crimson wool or floss

Body: Peacock herl

Hackle: Pale-blue-dun hen as a substitute for Norwegian or hooded crow

Head: Two turns of crimson Wool or floss or a small tag like that at the tail at 45 degrees"

Personally I always tie it with the head tag lifted upwards by the purple silk head and hackled with crow since that is how I learned that it should be tied. I mostly fish it in the film in my favourite month, late September. Small is good and long, soft hackle is good. Other sizes are good too.

(Hook numbers are Partridge in Robert's "A Guide to River Trout Flies". Very nice book by the way).

dd
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:58 pm

Wow Norm! Awesome looking pattern and very interesting history behind it! You did an admirable job in bringing it together as always! I find myself looking forward to combing the forum every day looking for your contributions!
Please keep us fed!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:18 pm

I love it when history makes a visit and adds context to a well dressed fly. Nicely tied, Sir.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:07 pm

The style reminds me of the British Shipman Buzzer pattern. Very interesting. I need to give these a swim... ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean