H,C. Cutcliffe Flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: H,C. Cutcliffe Flies

Post by joaniebo » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:56 am

Cheesehead wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:02 am
joaniebo wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:39 pm Received my Cutcliffe book by Paul Gaskell. Now where the heck do I get dyed Bullock's fur? ....and what the heck is a Bullock anyway? (Any sub available here Stateside?)
I believe it is a Bullock is a castrated male bull or ox.
I was hoping it WASN'T that. Looks like another "Tup's" dubbing all over again. We gotta get a sub for this one, eh?
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:51 am

Retrieving fur from a bull isn't as hard as it sounds. Once he's secured in the head gate he's pretty docile. Still, you always want to stand to the side. If any of you know any farmers who are planning on cutting perhaps you can get them to give a swinging pair the once over with a razor before they slip the band on. Or just introduce yourself to your neighborhood farmer and ask, he'll be a nice guy about it, and it'll give him a story to tell about you around town.

We just retired from the cattle business in the last year or so otherwise I'd have been happy to be your purveyor of all things bullock-y.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:24 pm

I have been trying to get arcane materials for many years. Dealing with farmers for such things is a challenge; in my experience. Even offering a ton of money seldom works. The best plan is to establish a relationship so they know that you aren't nuts. The tyers that I sell to are generally using the odd stuff for display. In his book on tying Irish flies; E J Malone cautions that using too much of the underfur from a hare's ear creates a wool rather than a fur body. Using a pair of fur hand cards; it's amazing to see how much junk falls out. That's why many tyers pluck rather than cut the dubbing from a skin. Given the quantities that I deal with; tools are absolutely essential. The downside is watching rare, hard to get, expensive materials dwindle before your very eyes.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:39 pm

The best plan is to establish a relationship so they know that you aren't nuts.
If you do this they really know that you are nuts, don't you think?

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:50 pm

chuckle
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
mooney4

Post by mooney4 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:59 pm

I just received my copy of this book. Have to say it was a Christmas present to myself! Beautiful book. Well put together and excellent photos.