Mearns and Mole

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Mearns and Mole

Post by Old Hat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:26 pm

Given some Mearns Quail feathers by a friend a while ago and am now just getting at it. It is a wiley feather and hard to tame.

Hook: Mustad 3121 #12
Thread: Griffith's 14/0 Grey
Body: Mole dubbing dyed blue dun
Hackle: Mearns Quail spotted flank/breast feather
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
DOUGSDEN

Re: Mearns and Mole

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Dearest Old hat,
Let me be the first to respond to this post. From the times posted on the board, You posted about four minutes ago. That's really neat. I've never actually witnessed a post up close and personal like this. A first for me.
The fly looks excellent. It's like racing stripes on a sports car. I have never heard of a Mustad #3121. I thought the #94842 (I am prob. wrong about the number but it's pretty close)
was the only up eye hook in their offerings. The barb seems a little big though. The body is tied really well. Just the way I like them. The underbody has a defined sillouete (my spelling is horrible) with just the right amount of fuzz radiating outward. Can you explain how you did this? I'm always on the hunt for a better way to dub bodies.
I have a (again, forgive my spelling) courtinix quail skin swimming around in the bottom of my shoe box labeled "soft-hackle skins and pelts". I get it out every once in a while and experiment. You are right. It's feathers are a little springy and stiff but not totally unusable. There is a beautiful list to every feather and collectively they great. Very much like the back of a Ruffed Grouse.
I wish to see more of your work (your pleasure) in the future.
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks Doug for the gracious reply. The 3121 is an older hook that I came upon in my searches for limerick hooks. I am a fan of the limerick bend for no other reason than the looks. This model, unlike the 94842, is a heavy hook not a dry. The barb has a classic look and you're right is rather large. On the smaller flies, I most often use the split thread method for dubbing. Split the thread out, wax it a little bit, place the dubbing between the strands and twist. If I want a tight body, I roll the dubbing onto one strand then twist. If I want it shaggy (like this one) I just trap it between the strands and twist. if I want it very sparse I touch dub it to one strand and twist. The trick to getting it clean is to pick it out before you wrap it and make sure you have a thin even core for that defined body. It takes some work with the Griffith's 14/0 but can be done. Pearsall's gossamer is great for this but is does untwist clockwise, opposite of many threads.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:02 am

That is another lovely fly
top shelf,

Roy
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:42 am

Old Hat wrote:Given some Mearns Quail feathers by a friend a while ago and am now just getting at it. It is a wiley feather and hard to tame.
Hi, I love the look of it - I've never tied with quail - did I interpret Dougsden correctly that the barbs are stiff?

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:57 am

Great pattern Carl,
have you thought about a Peccary body and 18 Hook to imitate a caenis? Would work a treat with that hackle.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks gentlemen.

Glassjet, actually the fibers are wonderful soft hackle, not stiff at all, it is just the individual hackle fibers like to twist around and go everywhere. Not a concern for fishing, just hard to tame for me. I like them to flow back a bit for my enjoyment is all.

I think I have some peccary around, I will try it.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:43 pm

Just a lovely wee fly. Top drawer.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:36 pm

Carl,
I did not know that about silk tying threads. It seems that I'm always unwinding other threads by spinning the bobbin to counter this effect. Thanks for that!
I am going to try the split thread method you told about also. I know that our pal Hans does many bodies on wet flies with this method and his, like yours, always look great. I just posted a new topic about making flymph bodies and the struggles I had with getting just the right amt. of fur between the silks. I would imagine that the same would apply to the split thread method and maybe even more so?
Thanks so much for the kind reply! We are all learning from each other new ways and I am lovin' every minute of it!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
mvendon

Post by mvendon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:50 am

Hi Carl,

Both this one and your Red Hackle V look just great. Very neat and precise!

Regards,
Mark