Tups Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

PhilA

Re: Tups Flymph

Post by PhilA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 pm

Just a wonderful fly and spectacular photography! Perhaps the award for best board photo of 2020 should be presented right now.

Tup's nymphs have long been near and dear to me. My most satisfying fish of 2019 came to hand on a Tup's in July on Slough Creek in YNP. This well educated and hard-fished cutthroat was rising steadily during a modest PMD hatch. I worked that fish for probably 30-40 minutes, but he/she inspected and refused all of my PMD emerger patterns, including those that were 'tried-and-true' during other PMD hatches. First drift of a Tup's presented about one inch underwater, however, yielded a confident take. That trout proved also to be my largest of 2019 ... about 20-21". Due to the generosity of a kind board member here for some private parts of a white ram and to contributions from a friend's lemon spaniel, the Tup's was tied with authentic R.S. Austin materials. As you say, I "love it when a plan comes together". 'Twas very satisfying.

Phil
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:58 pm

PhilA wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 pm Just a wonderful fly and spectacular photography! Perhaps the award for best board photo of 2020 should be presented right now.

Tup's nymphs have long been near and dear to me. My most satisfying fish of 2019 came to hand on a Tup's in July on Slough Creek in YNP. This well educated and hard-fished cutthroat was rising steadily during a modest PMD hatch. I worked that fish for probably 30-40 minutes, but he/she inspected and refused all of my PMD emerger patterns, including those that were 'tried-and-true' during other PMD hatches. First drift of a Tup's presented about one inch underwater, however, yielded a confident take. That trout proved also to be my largest of 2019 ... about 20-21". Due to the generosity of a kind board member here for some private parts of a white ram and to contributions from a friend's lemon spaniel, the Tup's was tied with authentic R.S. Austin materials. As you say, I "love it when a plan comes together". 'Twas very satisfying.

Phil
Your feeling was very understandable.

Did you go there on horseback?

dd
PhilA

Post by PhilA » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:08 pm

daringduffer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:58 pmDid you go there on horseback?
dd
Stefan,
No, I was on foot fishing the lower meadow of Slough Creek (downstream of the Slough Creek Campground). It seems that in recent years the upper meadows of Slough (First and Second Meadow especially) are often more crowded than the lower meadow. Trout are better educated on the lower meadow, but my buddy and I walked waaaaaaay downstream in the lower meadow, almost to where Slough Creek tumbles down a cascade into the Lamar River. We were all alone for most of the afternoon, which can be a rare treat on Slough Creek. The creek was its usual fickle self that day. Nothing happening except during an all-too-brief PMD hatch. And, highly opinionated fish even then! --Cheers, Phil
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:29 am

PhilA wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:08 pm
daringduffer wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:58 pmDid you go there on horseback?
dd
Stefan,
No, I was on foot fishing the lower meadow of Slough Creek (downstream of the Slough Creek Campground). It seems that in recent years the upper meadows of Slough (First and Second Meadow especially) are often more crowded than the lower meadow. Trout are better educated on the lower meadow, but my buddy and I walked waaaaaaay downstream in the lower meadow, almost to where Slough Creek tumbles down a cascade into the Lamar River. We were all alone for most of the afternoon, which can be a rare treat on Slough Creek. The creek was its usual fickle self that day. Nothing happening except during an all-too-brief PMD hatch. And, highly opinionated fish even then! --Cheers, Phil
Clever. You outsmarted both fish and fishermen and it just cost you some extra sweat.

dd
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Stunning tie and photo Carl, you set the bar as high as it can go my friend! :D
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:46 pm

Carl,
This thread is simply amazing! Your dubbing recipe seems pretty sound and very close to the original sans the rams scrotum fuzz! The air bubble is fascinating as well! I had to go back and look at your picture after you mentioned that it was indeed taken under water! If that doesn't trigger flymph feeding trout and others, I don't know what will!
Good stuff Carl! Thanks for creating and then sharing with us!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:02 am

PhilA wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:47 pm Just a wonderful fly and spectacular photography! Perhaps the award for best board photo of 2020 should be presented right now.
Phil
+1 !!!!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:10 am

Haha, thanks gentlemen but I hope we never have competitions on this forum. There is enough of that in the world already.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:03 am

yes....HOWEVER, that is a GREAT photo!!!
Soft and wet - the only way....
NedZeppelin

Post by NedZeppelin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:25 am

Amazing tie. And in the PMD flymph category, I’d like to acquire from some kind soul here the ingredients for one batch of Valla’s Tups dubbing from his Catskills book. Seems that if you acquire the yarns separately you not only make quite an investment but also have several lifetimes’ supply. I am thinking the blend perfect for a Frying Pan flymph pattern. PMs welcome, thanks.