Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

Post by joaniebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:09 pm

Bob

Every now on then, I might get the point fly tangled when NZ-style fishing, but not very often. I think it happens if / when I rush my cast. If I use a "normal" 6" - 8" dropper, I find that I have a very hard time if the dropper is a dry fly or a heavier nymph. Using the 6" - 8" dropper with two soft hackles works well for me.

Bob
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:05 am

I still use the original tried and true dropper method: the loop to loop connection with two flies space approximately 2 feet apart, with a loop to loop connection. I also use medium stiff monofilament, and all of my droppers are no longer than 4 1/2 inches.

Ray - next time we are together I would really like to work with you on putting together a step-by-step instruction for this system.

Dana
Soft and wet - the only way....
Trevis

Post by Trevis » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:16 am

I don't often fish more than one fly anymore, but, when I did stiff mono and 3"-4" droppers were my choice, a short stiff dropper tied at right angles to the leader seldom tangled for me. One day I will try one of the inline methods of multiple flies.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am

Dana - We should make time to do that, the next time we get together. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Theroe

Post by Theroe » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:08 pm

letumgo wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:46 am Dana - We should make time to do that, the next time we get together. ;)
That would be great.. I know I’ve mentioned this particular system on multiple occasions, over various Internet message boards.
My point is:this way seems to work so much better than any of the other methods that are out there. It’s very hard to improve over old techniques: a bamboo rod with a silk line and 3X leader, swinging a couple of wets, is just as effective now as it was centuries ago... Which begs the question: are we really making progress?

D
Soft and wet - the only way....