Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

ginkylady

Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

Post by ginkylady » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 am

89329111_2711323825764031_6663697890671591424_n.jpg
89329111_2711323825764031_6663697890671591424_n.jpg (163.85 KiB) Viewed 2904 times
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for a couple years now but my good friend Ron Eagle Elk finally convinced me to actively participate. He has been helping me a LOT with my tying and it has come a very long way in a short time under his guidance. So, in short, this forum is a GREAT space and I really appreciate how welcoming you all are and everything you have shared.

I first became interested in this fly after reading an excerpt from "Simple Fly Fishing" by the founder of Patagonia where he fished only one fly for a year and demonstrates how to tie it.
https://www.patagonia.com/stories/lesso ... 30863.html

It has been my go-to fly for a while now in various sizes and colors and I have caught everything from panfish to landlocked salmon and trout from Maine to Montana. I apply gink to fish it dry, weight to use it as a dropper on a nymph rig, or as it is tied to fish in the film or swing it.

I had the opportunity to tie demonstrations of this fly at a local sportsman show earlier this spring as my first time tying publicly. It went over very well with many kind people asking after the pattern and fishing techniques. It usually is tied with Hungarian Partridge but as I did not have any until recently (THANK YOU Ron Eagle Elk!) I used a speckled India hen. I just use whatever soft hackle I have available and different colors of ice dub.

Pattern is as follows

Hook: Mustad standard dry fly hook size 6-16
Thread: black danville 6/0
Rib: SM copper wire
Tail: Pheasant tail fibers
Abdomen: Pheasant tail fibers
Hackle: India hen brown speckled
Thorax: Hares ice dub peacock
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Pheasant Tail Soft Hackle

Post by letumgo » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:28 pm

Any friend of Ron's is a friend of mine! Welcome to the Flymph Forum, and thank you very much for jumping in by sharing the photo and fly pattern.

Great pattern. I'd fish that with full confidence.

I look forward to your future posts. Welcome.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:32 pm

Good pattern. I dont use it enough. Tail or no tail.
Last edited by DUBBN on Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:32 pm

That is a gorgeous looking fly. Heck, I'd bite it because it looks so good. I even have the materials to tie it, so I must tie some this weekend.
Thanks for sharing this fly, and welcome to the forum!
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:12 am

What Ginkylady isn't telling you is that she's a fairly new fly tyer. She is an avid fly dresser, fly fisher, and hunter, rapidly expanding her horizons in tying and fishing. We've been getting together at the house for tying sessions as often as we can. Having someone this eager to learn is really fun.

When I saw the flies she was tying at the "Cabin Fever Reliever" event I told her she should post one on the forum. Her response was something like "Those guys are so good, I'm not good enough." I took that picture of her fly and sent it to her. She asked if I tied it. The rest is history.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:16 am

I can't say exactly how many different Pheasant Tail dressings I tie and fish!

Personally, I believe that just about any fly dressing using Pheasant Tails will catch trout. I tie PT soft hackles with various hackles (Partridge, Golden Plover, European Grouse, Woodcock, Various Hens, etc.) and use many materials (Hare's Ear, Ice, peacock herl, etc.) for a thorax and with / without tails. Virually all work well if patiently fished.

"Hot Spot" thorax PTs (pink, purple, orange, red, etc.) fished New-Zealand style oftentimes work great!

Bob
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:06 am

Welcome GinkyLady! Glad you finally decided to join in the conversation. I sure hope we see more from your vise. You are learning from one of the best.

Excellent pattern. Myself as well as the fish are suckers for bright green, add the pheasant tail and I can sure see why it works so well.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 am

Bob - What do you mean by "fished New-Zealand style"? Can you describe this fishing method? I'm ready to learn! :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:48 pm

letumgo wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:35 am Bob - What do you mean by "fished New-Zealand style"? Can you describe this fishing method? I'm ready to learn! :D
Simply put, tying the point fly / tippet to the hook bend of the first fly instead of having the first fly being on a short dropper tippet and the point fly being at the end of the leader / tippet. Easier casting for me and no dropper tangles.
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:46 pm

joaniebo wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:48 pm
Simply put, tying the point fly / tippet to the hook bend of the first fly instead of having the first fly being on a short dropper tippet and the point fly being at the end of the leader / tippet. Easier casting for me and no dropper tangles.
I wish there were no dropper tangles using that rig. I can still manage to wrap the point tippet around the upper hook almost as easily as I can with a true dropper. A bit less, though, and it's slightly easier to rig.

Also, I find I hook far fewer fish on the top fly with a NZ rig, and it ensures that if I want to change out the top fly, I need to tie at least two knots.

I still use from time to time, especially on very windy days, but most of the time, I find its disadvantages outweight its advantages.
Bob