Gray Grizzly Flymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Gray Grizzly Flymph

Post by Old Hat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:13 am

Here is a Pete Hidy pattern I got from Lance a while back. This pattern is just perfect in the hand for a lot of bugs.

Ash silk
Grizzly hackle and tail
Body called for muskrat dubbing tips which I assumed was guard hairs?
Silver rib
Gray Grizzly Flymph UEredux.jpg
Gray Grizzly Flymph UEredux.jpg (183 KiB) Viewed 3085 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Gray Grizzly Flymph

Post by letumgo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:46 am

What an exquisite dressing... It has that "If I could only use one fly, that would be the one!" look to it. Nice job. Thank you for sharing this with us, Carl.

BTW - Did you notice that your post is the 8000 topic posted on the forum? Amazing! Viva la Flymph Forum!
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
upstatetrout

Post by upstatetrout » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am

Very nicely done Carl.

Tom
"We argue to see who is right but we discuss to see what is right"
redietz

Post by redietz » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:32 pm

Old Hat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:13 am Body called for muskrat dubbing tips which I assumed was guard hairs?
I'd say that's a fair assumption, Unless it means nose hairs (which I kind of doubt.)

Sweet looking fly.
Bob
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 pm

Gorgeous fly!! 8-) Thanks Carl and Lance, it is on the must tie list.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:16 pm

If you want to send a few my way, I'll let you know how well they work in the Cheese Country ditches, sloughs and run-offs as soon as the temps rise!

PS - That goes for anyone else that need their flies "field tested" by an OLD Bearded Bohemian named Bob!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:59 pm

Carl,
I am just blown away by the awesome beauty of this pattern! It has that quality about it that says, "Come and get me"! I like your hook choice also! The lines of this beautiful iron lend themselves well to the patterns overall good looks! Well done Carl! Love your style of tying!
Stuck in the Den,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:09 pm

Carl,
You are channeling Pete Hidy in this, from stem to stern. The wraps of silk in the cone-shaped head look exactly like his signature style. I agree with Ray, it has that "If I could only use one fly, that would be the one!" look to it.
The guard hairs seem to be something Pete was always experimenting with. I think you've seen this photograph before. It has two of the grizzly flymphs, 2 and 4. He somehow managed to make the guard hairs heavier in the thorax. Interesting how the honey dun, 3, has a palmer hackle that looks a lot like guard hair.
Lance
Attachments
Pete-HidyFlymphs_Lo+-#.jpg
Pete-HidyFlymphs_Lo+-#.jpg (281.43 KiB) Viewed 2929 times
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:53 am

Cool Lance, I have not seen that photo before. Thanks for sharing. It does seem the guard hairs become an extension of the hackle in those two.

Ray, It's funny you say that about it being a good "one fly". When I was tying it I was thinking this could be the "Adams" pattern of the flymph world. I have always considered the Adams as the do all kind of mayfly pattern.

Thanks everyone for the comments and thoughts. I appreciate it.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:05 pm

Old Hat wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:53 am Ray, It's funny you say that about it being a good "one fly". When I was tying it I was thinking this could be the "Adams" pattern of the flymph world. I have always considered the Adams as the do all kind of mayfly pattern.
I agree with you, because as soon as I saw the photo, for the first second I thought I was seeing an Adams.

It is a wonderful looking fly and brilliantly tied.

Does the hook you used have any advantage compared to a standard wet hook? I have never thought of using those hooks, but they seem to very popular here with some of you, so I thought maybe I'd try some out.