Grouse Spider

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

GlassJet

Grouse Spider

Post by GlassJet » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:17 pm

Grouse Spider

Body is Orange Pearsall's silk, waxed with a just off-clear beeswax - ie. it had a little bit of cobblers' wax mixed in. Roy has really set me off on one with the effect of waxes on these silks... it just looks so buggy!

Hackle is grouse, hook B160 short shank, #14 in this case.

Andrew.
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Grouse Spider

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:35 pm

Wow! That looks like a juicy little morsel. I really like the way the wax makes the silk look semitransparent. Beautiful...
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:05 am

Very nice -- especially the wax job, which really enhances the thread body. I also like the grouse.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:06 pm

That transparent color is great. Really a beauty Andrew. I bet a little gold or silver tinsel under that waxed thread would really make it pop in clear water on a bright day.

Carl
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
GlassJet

Post by GlassJet » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:18 pm

Old Hat wrote:That transparent color is great. Really a beauty Andrew. I bet a little gold or silver tinsel under that waxed thread would really make it pop in clear water on a bright day.

Carl
Carl, you read my mind... ;)

I've just tied up a couple over red, flat, holographic tinsel. Interesting effects and very much at the beginning of this. I'll try to photograph them and get them up in a couple of hours. Time for me to take my dogs out. :)

Andrew
"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." ~ Pablo Picasso 8)
Rabmax

Post by Rabmax » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:20 pm

Hello Glassjet i tried a couple of these spiders waxing well but they are not coming out like yours .I had ordered a block of clear beeswax from ebay but it looks a more white colour than clear.Can you post an example of the type of beeswax you are using if possible .I wouldn't mind having a few of these in my box for the trout season starting as they look very edible .Cheers
Rabmax

Post by Rabmax » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:49 am

I figured out what was wrong :oops: it was the mono i used it was a hazy clear colour.When i tried a different mono it worked a treat. Cheers