Ice Out Metalhead

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Roadkill

Ice Out Metalhead

Post by Roadkill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm

Ray, Ron, :idea: et al, please weigh in on a Steelhead version of my Ice Out soft hackle...

For those who use SHs in pursuit of bigger game... ;)

Hook-Dai Riki 899 #2
Thread- UTC 70 Blue Dun
Tail and Rib-Pearl Krystal Flash
Body- Alec Jackson Purple Silk
Thorax- Purple Merino Wool with Rainbow Antron
Hackle-Whiting Hen Saddle Silver Doctor Blue

ImageIMGP1046 by William Lovelace, on Flickr
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Ice Out Metalhead

Post by letumgo » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:46 pm

My kinda fly... :D

Excellent silk work on the body. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:32 pm

Thanks! I am looking forward to see a version you guys tie! ;) :)
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:46 am

I like it a lot. That Silver Doctor Blue hackle looks similar to light Cotinga color wise. At least on my computer and to my 74 year old eyes. Nicely dressed.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:12 pm

My attempt at an Ice Out Steelhead/Salmon fly. Tried to stay close to the materials used in the original, but had to stray because I used what materials I had on hand. I got to use another of the world's most graceful hooks, at least in my eyes, an Alec Jackson Steelhead Iron in size 9. The thread is the same as the original, UTC 70 in Blue Dun, though in my light it looks more like black. The thread also served as the body material as in the original posting. The tag is blue holographic tinsel. The tail and hackle are Silver Pheasant dyed Kingfisher Blue. The rib is Pearl Blue Krystal Flash. It seemed to impart a cooler, icier tone than the original pearl. The thorax is Jorgensen Salmon and Steelhead SLF dubbing in the color Purple Haze.
Attachments
DSCN2196.JPG
DSCN2196.JPG (175.63 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:36 pm

Ron,

Great fly! I thought about a tag but went for simple to tie and flash, and I like your tag and tail combination. Your feathers are great, I also used what I had on hand. I miss Alec and use his blind eye hooks but don't have any of his steelhead irons. For a graceful look I favor Dave McNeese's hooks.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:37 pm

Daiichi is still making the AJ hooks. I'm not sure of the blind eye AJ hooks or not thought. Haven't tied on them in years. Vickie still ties with blind eye hooks, but I gave it up.

Dave McNeese does make some beautiful hooks, for sure. Several years ago there was some delivery glitches with Dave's hooks, but it was cleared up in short order.

Appreciate the comments. Haven't dressed anything like that in a long time. I do wish I'd had some silk floss in an appropriate color for the body. There's just something about a silk body, yout fly being a good example, that just can't be matched with chemical materials.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:38 pm

Daiichi is still making the AJ hooks. I'm not sure of the blind eye AJ hooks or not thought. Haven't tied on them in years. Vickie still ties with blind eye hooks, but I gave it up.

Dave McNeese does make some beautiful hooks, for sure. Several years ago there was some delivery glitches with Dave's hooks, but it was cleared up in short order.

Appreciate the comments. Haven't dressed anything like that in a long time. I do wish I'd had some silk floss in an appropriate color for the body. There's just something about a silk body, yout fly being a good example, that just can't be matched with chemical materials.
Last edited by Ron Eagle Elk on Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: double post