Baby Sunfly Softy

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

joaniebo

Re: Baby Sunfly

Post by joaniebo » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 am

In going through some of the books next to my old recliner, I noticed the "Orange Otter" book and glanced at it again recently. A wonderful read and, of special interest to me (again), was that the Rev. Powell used many "soft hackle-type feathers" in his fly dressings with multiple hackle turns since many of his flies were fished as dry flies.

Since I tend to use more hackle turns than others might prefer, I find the Rev. Powell's dressings to be particularly nice. In addition, the Rev. Powell's references to other Welsh flies got me to buy Moc Morgan's book "Trout and Salmon Flies of Wales". Some lovely dressings in Moc Morgan's book!
Variant

Re: Baby Sunfly Softy

Post by Variant » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:23 am

joaniebo wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:36 am In going through some of the books next to my old recliner, I noticed the "Orange Otter" book and glanced at it again recently. A wonderful read and, of special interest to me (again), was that the Rev. Powell used many "soft hackle-type feathers" in his fly dressings with multiple hackle turns since many of his flies were fished as dry flies.

Since I tend to use more hackle turns than others might prefer, I find the Rev. Powell's dressings to be particularly nice. In addition, the Rev. Powell's references to other Welsh flies got me to buy Moc Morgan's book "Trout and Salmon Flies of Wales". Some lovely dressings in Moc Morgan's book!
Hi Joaniebo,
I also like the Welsh patterns . I have an English copy of PLU STINIOG, TROUT FLIES FOR NORTH WALES it has many different patterns and they catch fish!
Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
flyman53

Re: Baby Sunfly Softy

Post by flyman53 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:03 am

Any one on here know where I can obtain Alcock model perfect hooks in 14 and 16 (also model perfect long shank also in 14 and16.
I want to use same hooks and materials that he did to tie and frame the 26 flies he designed.