Shoulder problems = new rod

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Shoulder problems = new rod

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:05 am

After my fall on New Years Eve Day, I've noticed a bit of pain in my right shoulder, more of a range of motion thing than anything else. I mentioned this to the owner of the local fly shop and he suggested a new switch rod in a light line weight. He just happened to have an Echo SR 10'6" 3 weight in the shop. It cast very nicely in the snow with a weight forward 5 weight single hand line, but when I switched it over to my OPST Skagit line it became a cannon on long casts, but delicate enough on the short line casts.

After thinking it over for a week or so, I asked what the best out the door price was. Tax included, it was less then the listed price, so I bought it. Now, I just need to find some moving water that isn't covered in ice.

Oh yeah, the shoulder thing. With the new rod, casting is pain free. I'll still use the single hand rod for certain situations, but that new SR is really sweet.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Shoulder problems = new rod

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:19 am

ForumGhillie wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:17 am Ron, sorry about the shoulder issue. I have read good things about the Echo SR fly rods. I sent you a PM.
I did some research on the rod before I spent the money, and found a few negatives, but mostly favorable. Casting it actually made the sale. Smooth loading and unloading, great fit and finish. Money well spent.

PM answered.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:39 pm

That sounds like a sweet rod. 10ft-6" provides nice length to follow the drift, and the 3wt seems light enough for soft hackles and dries.

Glad you were able to find a rod that can keep you fishing, without stressing the shoulder. Sounds like money well spent.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
RickA

Post by RickA » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:09 pm

" He just happened to have an Echo SR 10'6" 3 weight in the shop. It cast very nicely in the snow with a weight forward 5 weight single hand line, but when I switched it over to my OPST Skagit line it became a cannon on long casts, but delicate enough on the short line casts."

I've been looking at a few switch rods but I really don't need another "vice"
I won a few Echo rods at my TU chapter raffles and I must say they are impressive for
what might be considered as an entry rod.
Thanks, Ron
What grain wt skagit did you load it with?
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 pm

Rick,

I talked with the guys at OPST and they suggested the 200 grain head with 35 grain tips. Thankfully, that's the same set up they suggested for my Hardy Zenith single hand 5 weight rod, so I didn't have to invest in another line. It took me a few trips to the water to get used to using the mono running line after using coated running lines for so long. It just felt different, but now, I love it.

I don't need another vice either. I WANT IT!!
jddietrich

Post by jddietrich » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:00 am

I had that same rod. I really liked a 5wt. Wulff Ambush and 5ft. Polyleaders.