Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Edmonds & Lee

Post by DUBBN » Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:50 am

😂😂😂😂😂😂😀
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:02 am

Interesting reading and lively discussion is sure to follow. I'm in no position to judge either Mr. Smith's or Mr. Herd's writings, but I do enjoy reading both.
On that note, in the same blog noted by Mr. Smith, there is an interesting post about John Atherton and Coq de Leon.
bearbutt

Post by bearbutt » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:34 am

LOL--. The corrections are very useful, and the recriminations simply delightful--to be accused of being "appallingly illiterate" would be a call to arms for some, and a badge of honour to others. Good writers have been called worse.

All things considered, I thought the photographs were quite well done, so if we leave out all the words and boo-boos, the article is at least half good.

bb
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 am

Apparently Walbran purchased some of Aldam’s estate including silk thread. This is the reference that I found.

https://books.google.com/books?id=rAAaA ... an&f=false
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:29 pm

That was a fun read, thank you, Rob. It also goes a long way to explaining why my flies resemble a Jackson Pollock painting as opposed to a Monet.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Wed Apr 08, 2020 1:52 pm

Mr Smith, greetings from the bottom of the world...

Just curious; have you discussed these errors with the author prior to posting your comments?

If so, I’d be interested to know what his response was..

Cheers!
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:06 am

I have Edmonds & Lee's book, and I think it is pretty good compared to others that have been published before it by the other great fishing authors in the 1800's.

As for this article, it seems the author is a little off from the truth, but more so probably due to his research. For example the school Edmonds & Lee went to. Ok, I'll give it to him because the school did change names, and Andrew probably had newer information that didn't include that the name of the school was changed.

Not to change the subject, but it does fit with this topic. I am a somewhat history buff on some subjects, and one subject is the Coffeyville KS. raid by the Daltons. I have read books and seen shows on it on the History Channel with historians talk about such details about the gang and why they did what they did. All of it entertaining, but not historical. For instance, many say Bob Dalton's girl friend was part of the gang, but was waiting for them outside of the town after the raid.

I visited Coffeyville a few times and went into the Dalton Museum where I found a book, and they have many copies, written by Emmett Dalton himself about how the gang was started and why they took two banks in Coffeyville. Was there a woman in the story? Yes. Bob's girlfriend was on her way to Kansas by stage from California, but was killed by Indians in an attack. Bob got the message about it, and was of course upset about it. So he decided to take the two banks and they could go to South America and build their horse ranch.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like going to the horses mouth. Excuse the pun.
Greenwell

Post by Greenwell » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:36 pm

wsbailey wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 am Apparently Walbran purchased some of Aldam’s estate including silk thread.

In my copy of Aldam's Quaint Treatise the specimens of silk are quite different from Pearsalls, not only in color but in diameter. One silk is especially intriguing. The "Tailey Tail" fly calls for a dark fawn or fleshy color. The color sample in the book is one of the oddest silks I have seen, it's almost but not quite, pink. The only Pearsalls that I have to match it is the modern color called Salmon Berry but this is too bright.

Interestingly, it turns out that my copy of Aldam was owned by A. Courtney Williams and has many of his pencil notations. Williams was a fly pattern compiler and wrote "Trout Flies: A Dictionary and a Discussion" which was later expanded into "A Dictionary of Trout Flies."

As an aside, in the first book (1932), Williams discusses the use of glass or metal beads to suggest the eyes of the natural flies but says that "The purist will have none of them" but a bit farther on: For many years I fought shy of even trying such a monstrosity, but recent experience has completely changed my views." And in the next paragraph: "Whilst having no intention of advocating the use of such fearsome creatures in preference to any other flies, it is worth while pointing out that whereas a fly with a body of silver tinsel , or another with eyes of beads, may appear to us as a freak, the very fact that trout do not find them so provides food for thought."
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:01 pm

I have Courtney Williams book and for me it is an essential reference. I don’t know of any list of Aldam’s fly (flee) recipes but Halford gives one for Indian Yellow. The description for the silk is the color of natural Russia Leather. Some fly wallets were made of it. There is a lot of interesting information surrounding the whole subject.

https://www.purdey.com/the-russia-leather

https://www.hermes.com/us/en/story/2503 ... a-leather/

https://colourlex.com/project/indian-yellow/
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:43 am

Those were interesting reads; the Purdey link was great, I had no idea. One of my favorite silks is an old Richardson's that is about that same color. I called it Chestnut but Russian leather works, too.