BWO Splymph

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

daringduffer

Re: BWO Splymph

Post by daringduffer » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm

Fly fishing has become a lot more complicated...
:?

dd
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 am

dd, Howdy;
daringduffer wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm Fly fishing has become a lot more complicated...

dd
When it appears to be coming under control it needs to become complicated again
nature of the beast. Within the complications lies the attraction,

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:08 pm

Steve - When is your trout spey book coming out? I am definitely interested in buying a copy, when it gets published.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:20 pm

ronr wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:06 pm ah Steve you hit my interest with your last post. I'll look forward to the new book about trout spey. On that subject, I fish a lot with a 10'6" 3wt nymphing rod when I'm swinging wets. Quite often I'll use a snap T or single spey cast with a standard fly line, 3or4wt forward, floating line. With the talk these days about "trout spey rods" and various lines, I've thought about trying to match a Scandi shooting head to this setup. I have a large arbor reel that balances nicely with this rod of mine, but I haven't sprung for the special Scandi head. Would using a 185 grain or so head really make that much difference over a standard fly line when swinging a couple of small wet flies on a smaller river than your neighborhood? I'm not a big Spey guy, and I prefer the single hand rod to the standard two handed rigs out there, (not to mention the $4-800 bucks they want for one).
Ron, I wouldn't go as heavy as 185gr with that rod, or a scandi head. At that weight, a weight-forward is doing the same thing as a scandi & probably presenting better. The casts are the main benefit, & you're already doing that. Try the 3wt nympher with a 5wt DT if you have one. the DT will give you more weight in the D to load the rod, & you can choke it short for in close, or longer for anchor-point casts, & it will still present well in thinner water.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:27 pm

daringduffer wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm Fly fishing has become a lot more complicated...

dd
Nah. Just more choices. No need to take on more than piques your interest.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:31 pm

hankaye wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:36 am dd, Howdy;

dd
When it appears to be coming under control it needs to become complicated again
nature of the beast. Within the complications lies the attraction,

hank
Hank.
UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:38 pm

letumgo wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:08 pm Steve - When is your trout spey book coming out? I am definitely interested in buying a copy, when it gets published.
Ray, wish I could answer that one. Would like to get it out before somebody else beats me to the first book on the subject. Right now trout spey is the fastest growing branch of our game, yet publishers of books on angling subjects, ever behind the trends, don't seem to understand what it is. And there's only one publisher that pays decently... However continuing momentum will get the thing done. Eventually.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:28 am

Put me on the waiting list. Looking forward to reading your next book. ;)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
ronr

Post by ronr » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:33 am

Steve... your opinion is actually what I was looking for... someone to confirm, what I was already thinking. My little rod is very limber at the tip, as it was designed for those Euro nymphers. I've found I enjoy fishing it with any method. I do overline that rod some, using a 4wt DT, but haven't tried a 5wtDT...

I appreciate those comment about complicating the game...I had a boss one time that was on old baseball geek, and he'd tell me that every time I think, 5 runs would score...maybe I should keep to the KISS method and stick to my Tenkara..

Thanks for the reply, I have your Upper Columbia book and would also be interested in your upcoming one.
If you don't mind a shameless plug, my daughter is a freelance editor. Has worked for major publishers but now does her own thing...sorry, couldn't resist.