Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Tom Smithwick

Re: Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10' 3 wt and a cast of two wets

Post by Tom Smithwick » Tue May 05, 2020 7:30 am

Ummm - A word of caution from the rod makers shop. If you tie a tenkara line to the tip top, and then in the course of fighting a fish or trying to free a snagged fly, point the rod in the pulling direction, it might be possible to separate a ferrule. In that case, your tip section winds up in the middle of the stream swimming with the fish or swinging with the current. I would likely tape the ferrules with electrical or hockey tape. Another alternative would be to run a length of backing line from the tip top down to the reel seat. Murphy and his law are never far away.
Variant

Post by Variant » Tue May 05, 2020 8:58 am

Tom Smithwick wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 7:30 am Ummm - A word of caution from the rod makers shop. If you tie a tenkara line to the tip top, and then in the course of fighting a fish or trying to free a snagged fly, point the rod in the pulling direction, it might be possible to separate a ferrule. In that case, your tip section winds up in the middle of the stream swimming with the fish or swinging with the current. I would likely tape the ferrules with electrical or hockey tape. Another alternative would be to run a length of backing line from the tip top down to the reel seat. Murphy and his law are never far away.
Hi Tom,
You are right on the money, I do tape the ferrules when I use the rod for occasional Tenkara fishing. I forgot to mention that.I learned that trick years ago casting the big two handed rods for salmon and steelhead. The torque while casting would loosen the ferrules and cause problems. Thanks for the reminder.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue May 05, 2020 1:52 pm

bocast wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:13 pm Almost all the takes followed the same pattern. A trout rose to and slashed at the top dropper as the fly dapped the water, then dropped back and took the small soft hackle. To prevent the refusals of the top dropper, I replaced it with a smaller, more drab winged wet with the same results. If I stopped manipulating the casts and let them sink, the trout simply ignored the top dropper, only rarely taking the point fly. When I worked the cast to keep the top dropper dancing in the film, the action was fast and furious with two fish at a time rushing the cast. These trout are accustomed to feeding on pellets. My guess is the dapping of the top dropper suggested fish feed. Refusal followed recognition that a Wickhams Fancy is not a pellet. The small soft hackle was the consolation prize.
I've often noted the similar behavior even with wild trout, although the top dropper doesn't necessarily need to be dancing. The top dropper moves the fish; the point fly seals the deal.

I've got a Grey's Streamflex 10' 3 weight. It's a great wet fly rod.
Bob
bocast

Post by bocast » Tue May 05, 2020 6:07 pm

Bob, I'll look for the same effect with wild fish. How far apart do you space your flies when fishing wets over wild trout? I space the flies approximately two feet apart, sometimes up to 3 feet fishing over stocked trout. What is your overall leader length? I think the Streamflex tapers, both the original and the Plus are fantastic for us wet fly fishermen.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
redietz

Post by redietz » Tue May 05, 2020 6:15 pm

My spacing is about the same as yours: 2-3 feet.

Overall length varies depending on where I'm fishing, although it's usually about 13 feet to the point fly.
Bob
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Wed May 06, 2020 7:36 am

I love this place; nowhere else could we see the words 'Hockey tape' and 'Tenkara' collide in the same sentence.
bocast

Post by bocast » Thu May 07, 2020 6:45 am

True, Mike62, and that collision of terms saved me the top section of my new rod on some future day.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:32 pm

When I use multiple flies, 9 times out of 10 the dry fly gets took. What I figure is, the water I fish is flowing faster because of the gradient, so fish being opportunistic feeders, they won't let a meal pass by if they can help it. It's only in the slower moving water where the point fly gets taken.

If I had lazier waters, then I can see the trailing flies being taken more often. And it doesn't matter what type of flies either. But I'm catching fish, so I must be doing something right.

I have been wanting a 10' 3wt rod. I have a 10' 4wt Scott A4 that does very well for wet flies & flymphs & I don't see me letting that rod go any time soon. I have heard many wonderful things about the new Fenwick Streamflex & Streamflex Plus. The plus sounds like something I'd like very much. What I like about the Scott A4 is the mid to lower section is strong, while the upper mid to tip is soft. So when I set the hook it feels like a good solid hook set.
How would you describe the rods performance when setting the hook with the 3wt?
Last edited by Fishnkilts on Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ronr

Post by ronr » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:19 am

DUBBN, take a look at the Cortland 10'6" 3wt competition nymphing rod...I've fished that rod for about 3yrs now and use it for swinging, dries, and nymphing. It comes in for under $300... they make a more expensive version too, but Ive had no issues with the cheaper rod... I've landed fish up to 18 inches in swift water just fine...I know its not the name brand most think of..but this rod is a good buy.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:05 pm

I made the mistake of rereading this post…cost me several hundred dollars… (saw this rod on Dette’s site and ended up ordering a new Fenwick Streamflex Plus 10 ft 3wt/backing/line/leader).

You guys are a bad influence… :twisted:

Thank you! ;) :D

I am looking forward to fishing this set-up.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean