Black Magic North Country Spider (Robert Smith Video Tutorial)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

letumgo
Site Admin

Black Magic North Country Spider (Robert Smith Video Tutorial)

Post by letumgo » Sat May 09, 2020 8:49 am

Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Re: Black Magic North Country Spider (Robert Smith Video Tutorial)

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 09, 2020 9:15 am

I am not quite sure why the recipe calls for Red wire, when the wire is buried.

Still, a good pattern when I nymph them.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 am

I'm sure Robert can tell you why. Out here when we weight the front of a leech imitation it's because we want to front of the fly to undulate in the water. The red wire might have been used because it forms bulk faster than tying thread. It also adds a slight amount of weight.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 09, 2020 10:27 am

zen leecher wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 10:11 am I'm sure Robert can tell you why. Out here when we weight the front of a leech imitation it's because we want to front of the fly to undulate in the water. The red wire might have been used because it forms bulk faster than tying thread. It also adds a slight amount of weight.

I was referring to the color. Not the purpose.

When the color of the wire is listed rather than just wire, I usually suspect there is a reason.

I do smile a little. There is more weight added to that pattern than one of my glass/plastic beads.
zen leecher

Post by zen leecher » Sat May 09, 2020 11:48 am

oh.
Johnno

Post by Johnno » Sat May 09, 2020 2:08 pm

I suspect the wire is there - whatever the colour - for weight alone. I cannot see any other reason for it. Not as if the colour shows through the herl when you look to how it’s wrapped.

It says the fly was dated 1967 - not a lot of options back then; silver, gold, copper and coated ( red/wine)

I’d surmise red wire, simply ‘cause that was what the tier had on hand at the time and the recipe has stayed that way since.
joaniebo

Post by joaniebo » Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 pm

Over 15+ years ago, a fellow in England sent me a pic and the dressing for the Black Magic Spider ----- the same fellow that also sent me some "circa 1910" Tups dubbing from his grandfather's old collection of fly tying materials.

The dressing for the Black Magic Spider that I was given (back then) was exactly as shown in Rob Smith's video with one exception. Namely, either a black hen or starling hackle could be used, The red wire under the peacock herl and black thread body were as stated to me.

Rob Smith's video is the FIRST video / dressing I've seen in these 15+ years since I learned of, and started tying / fishing, Black Magic Spiders.

I can only surmise that the red wire is for a little added weight but, I sometimes use a little less peacock herl and let the red wire show through.

Either way, it is a great fly, simple to tie and very effective. Thanks Mr. Smith.

Bob
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun May 10, 2020 7:55 am

The Spider Booklet in the reference section has the Black Magic fly pattern.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2609
bocast

Post by bocast » Sun May 10, 2020 8:47 am

Could it be that peacock herl a century ago was sometimes of poor quality, allowing some of wire to show through? That bit of color near the head is similar to the non-hackled "cruncher' patterns I see tied by Davie McPhail.
I fish wet flies with faith and hope, faith that trout don't require exactitude and hope that when my time comes, God will explain why wet flies work...
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 10, 2020 9:57 am

bocast wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:47 am Could it be that peacock herl a century ago was sometimes of poor quality, allowing some of wire to show through? That bit of color near the head is similar to the non-hackled "cruncher' patterns I see tied by Davie McPhail.
I do not think Peacock is being genetically produced, but I may be wrong. I am guessing here, but I think Peacock now is the same as 100 years ago. I know the Peacock I harvested 40 years ago was pretty good stuff. That was from a bird that wandered on to our dairy.