Attempts at Valsesiana style flies

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ron Eagle Elk

Attempts at Valsesiana style flies

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:05 pm

Both flies are done on Firehole 316 size 14. One was tied with Pearsall's Gossamer 6A and a gray partridge feather. Something about the Pearsall's just doesn't look right. The second attempt was tied with Larguntan silk floss split into 4 strands. One strand was used for the fly. It's sort of a claret floss with Woodcock hackle.

Note to self: If your going to tie with floss, borrow some silk gloves from Vickie, or use lots of hand lotion.

The older fly dressers and fishers in the region fear that their precious style of flies will be changed and modernized. I can understand their feelings completely. Their flies are tied in hand, using Bozzolo Seta Reale for thread, and game bird hackles. I have already seen videos on youtube of tiers taking short cuts, and using tools and techniques the old timers didn't use. There is something to be said for tradition. Having said that, I offer these flies using improper thread and a vise.
Attachments
DSCN2204.JPG
DSCN2204.JPG (181.96 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
DSCN2200.JPG
DSCN2200.JPG (173.76 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Mike62

Re: Attempts at Valsesiana style flies

Post by Mike62 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:34 am

I'm really digging this whole Valsesiana/Kebari thing you and William and Alan are putting down. Great inspiration. Thank you! Everybody should take a walk over to Alan's site and check out the kebari stuff he's been tying.
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:18 pm

Correct me if I am wrong, these flies are used for Tenkara style aren't they? I never heard of Valesiana/Kebari before.

What is it that is making these flies becoming so popular? Is it the way they ride on the water, or do they more sit in the film?
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:23 pm

Nice flies Ron!!
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:43 am

Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:18 pm Correct me if I am wrong, these flies are used for Tenkara style aren't they? I never heard of Valesiana/Kebari before.

What is it that is making these flies becoming so popular? Is it the way they ride on the water, or do they more sit in the film?
Can't speak for the popularity of the Kebari fllies, aside from the fact that they do catch a lot of fish in a very simplified style of fly fishing.

The Valsesiana style of flies may be gaining some notice because it is a dying art. This style of fly, tied in hand with locally sourced silk and feathers has been practiced in the Valley of the Sesia River in Northern Italy for centuries. Those who still practice it in it's original form are simply dying out. There is some thought, though no proof, that this style of fly traveled to the British Isles with Roman soldiers and morphed into the spiders of today.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:23 pm

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:43 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 6:18 pm Correct me if I am wrong, these flies are used for Tenkara style aren't they? I never heard of Valesiana/Kebari before.

Can't speak for the popularity of the Kebari fllies, aside from the fact that they do catch a lot of fish in a very simplified style of fly fishing.

The Valsesiana style of flies may be gaining some notice because it is a dying art. This style of fly, tied in hand with locally sourced silk and feathers has been practiced in the Valley of the Sesia River in Northern Italy for centuries. Those who still practice it in it's original form are simply dying out. There is some thought, though no proof, that this style of fly traveled to the British Isles with Roman soldiers and morphed into the spiders of today.
Thanks Ron. I have heard that it may have been the birth of spider fishing in the UK, and it does make a bit of sense. Funny how things that are dying out in their original countries seem to become what's popular here when it comes to fishing.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:11 pm

A little off topic but ten or twenty years ago Scottish Spey River salmon flies were all the rage here. I got ahold of the book “Trout and Salmon Flies of Scotland” and was surprised that there was no mention of Spey flies. I contacted the author and he told me no one in Scotland used them anymore.