“Light Hare Dun”

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

NightWatchman

“Light Hare Dun”

Post by NightWatchman » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:47 pm

“Light Hare Dun” Pattern of Carl Sander’s

Hook.... Mustad94842. Sz 14. ** Carl’s dressing calls for a heavier gauge upt hook but not in my inv.
Thread . Pearsall’s gossamer yellow
Tail. .... 3 Woodduck flank fibres
Body. .... light cream fur from base of hare’s ear mask
Hackle .... Herbert Miner hen. Pale dun. *** New poster has been asking about hen hackles so I’ll try to post what
I used on the patterns going forward.
Attachments
07C979C9-39FE-4DB0-AF4B-7C1F672DAC1B.jpeg
07C979C9-39FE-4DB0-AF4B-7C1F672DAC1B.jpeg (470.4 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: “Light Hare Dun”

Post by letumgo » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:47 pm

Thank you for including the full recipe (preferred). The forum members come from a wide range of experience. Having full recipes helps us all.

Lovely pattern, btw. Definitely a hunter.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Re: “Light Hare Dun”

Post by Old Hat » Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:02 am

Looks great! Certainly one of my favorites to tie and fish. Just a good generalist pattern for most lighter colored mayflies.

Just FYI, when I mention a hook I often list what I used for that particular fly but, it is not always what I use for the pattern. I often tie my flymphs on light wire hooks. I will tie the same pattern on heavy and light wire hooks and select the fly I want stream side based on how I will fish the fly at the moment. I differentiate between them by the hackle. For my light wire flies, I tie the hackle a bit more open through the thorax and on average about 1 more turn of hackle than the heavy wired flies. This creates more surface area to help the fly stay in the film longer where I will be fishing it. I also think it represents an emerger further along in its transformation (leaning more towards the dun with more developed wings) better than hackle at the front and more sparse. Most of my fishing flies are on down eye hooks. I use the up eyes mostly for photographic enjoyment. ;)
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com