Blue (Dusky) Grouse Skin; Who Uses Them?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

FlyFisherMann1955

Blue (Dusky) Grouse Skin; Who Uses Them?

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:04 pm

Just wondering who has a Blue (sometimes called Dusky) Grouse skin and what soft hackle/flymph
patterns do you tie with them? I'm thinking about buying one, but wondered if I "need it"! If you have 1,
is the skin of a male or female better?

Even more helpful if you could post pictures.....pretty please!

Thanks- Ken
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Blue (Dusky) Grouse Skin; Who Uses Them?

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:04 pm

I do not have a Blue (Dusky) Grouse Skin, so I cannot provide any advice.

However, I was able to find the following link showing photos of Dusky Grouse and Ruffed Grouse for comparison.

WEB LINK:https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Dus ... s-compare/

Click on the green arrows to browse thru several photos (male and female) of each species.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:56 pm

I’ve been looking for one since someone told me the neck hackles tie a great bwo wet fly.
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:49 pm

Can't say I use them a lot. ;) Here is a male skin salted down and given to me years ago by a fishing and hunting friend.

ImageIMGP1213 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

ImageIMGP1214 by William Lovelace, on Flickr

Nice mottled feathers in dark grays and browns! This is a large bird and I would use most of these on some steelhead SH's. I may even get around to dyeing some with the white sections. You never have too many skins to choose from. ;)

NightWatchman,

I don't have the neck feathers up by the head so I don't know about BWO's. The ones have are larger & darker than I would use. Out side of Whiting hens, my choice would be Gambels Quail for small BWO tying!
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Yes I agree with you Roadkill on the Calif. Quail as I have one. 🙂
NightWatchman

Post by NightWatchman » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:25 pm

Sorry you referred to Gambel .
FlyFisherMann1955

Post by FlyFisherMann1955 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:27 am

Roadkill,

I appreciate you posting the pictures. I was hoping a Blue (Dusky) Grouse skin would be less brown and more dun (blue/gray) in color. Of course, different skins could have large color variations and I may find 1 that is less brown and with smaller feathers.

Thanks- Ken
Updtate

Post by Updtate » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:24 am

[Perhaps a mountain quail ? Lots of smoky dun feathers suitable for all sizes of soft hackles!

Tom

attachment=0]0412181319a.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
0412181319a.jpg
0412181319a.jpg (235.25 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:16 am

The Dusky males have nice blue breast feathers. But, I am sure the plumage changes a bit according to season. I would contact the seller and let them know what you are after before purchasing. I prefer the grouse over the California quail. The quail has great color, but the feathers have a more springy (slightly stiff) feel to them than the softer grouse. Here is a good photo of the dusky plumage. This is a male that was calling all females until he spotted me and laid down to hide. Look around on your skins though, there are many birds that have soft smaller blue undercovert feathers on their wings.
reducedYellowstone Blue.jpg
reducedYellowstone Blue.jpg (205.37 KiB) Viewed 2659 times
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Variant

Post by Variant » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:26 am

Old Hat wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:16 am The Dusky males have nice blue breast feathers. But, I am sure the plumage changes a bit according to season. I would contact the seller and let them know what you are after before purchasing. I prefer the grouse over the California quail. The quail has great color, but the feathers have a more springy (slightly stiff) feel to them than the softer grouse. Here is a good photo of the dusky plumage. This is a male that was calling all females until he spotted me and laid down to hide. Look around on your skins though, there are many birds that have soft smaller blue undercovert feathers on their wings.
reducedYellowstone Blue.jpg
Carl makes some very valid points about the colors and the springy nature of the feathers.Blue grouse is a term that refers to both dusky grouse and sooty grouse.The colors vary , usually the females are a little more subdued. Get a picture of the skin if possible. The California quail does have beautiful color but the nature of some of the the feathers are a little more difficult (springy) to work with.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN