The Latest From the Den....

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

The Latest From the Den....

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Good evening folks!

This last year has been a real cluster for me as I can imagine for most of you too! I have not tied all summer long! In fact, I have not fished as much as I needed to either! This past month, I could not stand it any more! I was drawn to the vice and these two patterns are what I have been working on!

#1 Grouse and Orange with Bling
Hook: Lightning Strike #SE5 Scud/Emerger Size 14
Thread: Benecchi 12/0 Orange
Body: Thread, same as above
Rib: Small gold wire - 4-5 turns
Dubbing: Borden's Hare-Tron #17 Burnt Orange
Hackle: Upper wing coverts from a Ruffed Grouse wing. These particular hackles were a gift from our friend Mike Maynard (Mike62). Thanks Mike! They are beautiful and wonderful to use!

#2 Squirrel and Partridge
Hook: TMC 3761 Size 12
Thread: Danville's 6/0 Orange
Dubbing: S.L.F. Squirrel Spikey Dubbing - Natural Fox
Hackle: Darkest Hungarian Partridge - well marked!

I want to explain the reasons for using some of the materials above but it will have to wait until another posting!
I hope you all enjoy these patterns!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: The Latest From the Den....

Post by letumgo » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:04 pm

Beautiful flies Doug! I look forward to hearing more about these flies. I think I have already had success fishing with your second pattern... :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Dec 18, 2020 12:41 am

Nice, Doug. I especially like the Squirrel and Partridge.
Bob
davidriley

Post by davidriley » Fri Dec 18, 2020 5:18 am

Doug
Those are excellent. My sort of fly. Definitely two to copy. Thanks for sharing.
David
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:06 am

Outstanding patterns. I would fish either, or both, with confidence. They will catch for sure.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:28 am

Fabulous looking flies!! 8-)
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:52 am

Beautiful flies, Doug. I'd fish happily with every one of them. Holler when you need more wings; it was another fantastic bird season up here.
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:48 am

Hello Friends!

I just realized that I did not complete my task on the post above! I would like to fill you in on the two patterns above beyond the ingredients in the recipe!

Squirrel and Partridge: This pattern is my take on the great March Brown! For years, I have been mixing and experimenting with various furs to closely duplicate the exquisite stuff found on the English Hares ears! It is tough! Cottontail Rabbit is good in it's own way but not what I was looking for! John Shaner once told us that there really is no substitute for Hares Ear dubbing! How right he is! I had my dubbing box out and got to looking at the various packages of SLF squirrel dubbing. One in particular flavor jumped out at me. Number 11 Natural Fox Squirrel! It just seems to work for me as a Hares Ear substitute! Forgive me John for not seeking it out more diligently!

Hackles: I have been blessed with some particularly dark (from the back of the bird obviously) Partridge skins. I have also been separating them and sizing them and storing them for future use. A true dark, well freckled Partridge hackle in the right size (size 16's are crazy rare) is a thing of beauty especially when applied to this frame!

Hook: I have always been a sucker for TMC's 3761 and I caved when choosing this iron for this pattern. I think it's the subtle curve in the shank!

This pattern, with it's variations from the original, has been and continues to be a real killer for me! I also lightly (and sometimes heavily) weight the pattern to pick up some of the deeper living gills in my neighborhood!

Grouse and orange later on!

Doug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
BrkTrt

Post by BrkTrt » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:01 pm

Been busy in the den...awesome work at the bench.

Alan
Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:23 am

Those are beautifully tied.

I have read somewhere that the English Hare is superior to ours here in the U.S.. From the looks of your flies, I can't say that it's not. A friend of mine in Scotland took a photo of his tying desk and sent it to me and there was a package with an English Hares mask in it. I commented on it because it looked fantastic. I don't think I have seen a mask here in the U.S. that looked as good as his. Maybe I should do a trade with him for something he can't get there but is a regular thing here for a mask or two.

I just got into the SLF dubbings and I think they are great. It's good to see that dubbing used in the proper way so I can look at your flies and get better at tying.

Thank you for sharing all that info.