Mole Substitute?

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Silver Doctor

Mole Substitute?

Post by Silver Doctor » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:32 pm

Is there a substitute for mole? any other light furs that with touch dubb? Having trouble finding any locally.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
Ron Eagle Elk

Re: Mole Substitute?

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:09 am

SD,

Where are ya? I might have a natural mole extra. I'll have to check.

REE
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
John Dunn

Post by John Dunn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 pm

I'm still looking for a lite tan colour skin , not having muck luck. Hope you have more luck than Me:)

JAD
"The trout do not rise in the cemetery, so you better do your fishing while you are still able." - Sparse Grey Hackle
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:04 pm

John Dunn wrote:I'm still looking for a lite tan colour skin , not having muck luck. Hope you have more luck than Me:)

JAD
I've got a bunch of Australian possum somewhere, and I think some of it is pretty light tan. Any interest? PM me with an address, and I'll send a chunk -- once I dig it out.

EP
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
Silver Doctor

Post by Silver Doctor » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm in Calgary Alberta.
Often I have been exhausted on trout streams, uncomfortable, wet, cold, brier scarred, sunburned, mosquito bitten, but never, with a fly rod in my hand have I been in a place that was less than beautiful.
My blog: http://lornce.wordpress.com/
Jim Slattery
Site Admin

Post by Jim Slattery » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:24 pm

I have mole in the following colors:
Natural (Grey) , Black, dark brown, Tan Brown, and Blue
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:54 am

If you're looking for something immediate, you can use the muskrat underfur and cut it up very small. Its usually much too long and silky to replace mole, but if you cut it into little short pieces, it will behave more like mole.

On the other hand, mole is really easy to come by, and there really isn't anything quite like it. Mole really has a defining quality that gives a lot of the soft-hackles their character.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Liam

Post by Liam » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 am

You can also check this site:
http://greatfeathers.com/search.aspx?find=mole+skins

I have gotten very nice Veniard mole skins from them in the past.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:02 pm

You can always hunt your own too--I did :)

I was going to suggest Muskrat as well (with the guard hairs removed). Another thought would be fox body underfur (again cut short). Squirrel underfur comes very close, but by the time you finished removing the underfur a package could arrive at your door filled with mole :D

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)
flymph

Post by flymph » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:15 am

fu
Last edited by flymph on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.