Sink tip line

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Fishnkilts

Re: Sink tip line

Post by Fishnkilts » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:29 pm

redietz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:12 pm
I have always read, heard and was taught to fish the traditional ways, and when I read or hear and see someone, let's say, going against the grain, it sets me back a bit.
I'm not sure what's not traditional about a sinking line. Leisenring would have been fishing an undressed silk line, which would sink. Marryat, the "Prince of Fly Fishers." who taught Halford about dry flies, surprised some people after he died and his tackle was auctioned off by how much split shot that tackle contained. Heck, even the Treatyse contained info on weighting your line.

That said, I would never weight a fly. Most of the time, I do want it right in the film, or just below. There are times, however, when I do want it a little deeper, and polyleaders/versileaders are the way to go for that, for me at least.

And they have advantages beyond just sinking the fly. They also function as a mini shooting head, making some single handed spey casts much easier. In fact, I use floating and intermediate polyleaders far more often than I do sinking ones for just that reason. Give them a try.
Thank you for the bit of history. I never knew they fished that way back then. I don't feel so torn now.

I will give it a try. Thank you.
BrooksnBrowns

Post by BrooksnBrowns » Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:38 am

An intermediate line always works well for me. Barrio has a good one.
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:47 am

redietz wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:53 am
Fishnkilts wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:12 pm
I have always read, heard and was taught to fish the traditional ways, and when I read or hear and see someone, let's say, going against the grain, it sets me back a bit.
I'm not sure what's not traditional about a sinking line. Leisenring would have been fishing an undressed silk line, which would sink. Marryat, the "Prince of Fly Fishers." who taught Halford about dry flies, surprised some people after he died and his tackle was auctioned off by how much split shot that tackle contained. Heck, even the Treatyse contained info on weighting your line.

That said, I would never weight a fly. Most of the time, I do want it right in the film, or just below. There are times, however, when I do want it a little deeper, and polyleaders/versileaders are the way to go for that, for me at least.

And they have advantages beyond just sinking the fly. They also function as a mini shooting head, making some single handed spey casts much easier. In fact, I use floating and intermediate polyleaders far more often than I do sinking ones for just that reason. Give them a try.
Sir.. I'm very interested in your comments about floating poly leaders. I've recently purchased Airflo's 5 and 8' floating trout poly leaders. I've only had one session to experiment so far. I'd love to know whether you add tippet rings to the end, do you use this brand, and how long are the tippets you add.
redietz

Post by redietz » Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:01 am

ronr wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:47 am
Sir.. I'm very interested in your comments about floating poly leaders. I've recently purchased Airflo's 5 and 8' floating trout poly leaders. I've only had one session to experiment so far. I'd love to know whether you add tippet rings to the end, do you use this brand, and how long are the tippets you add.
Yes, I use Airflo (as well as Orvis) because they have the best choice of lengths.

You don't need tippet rings, a loop-to-loop connection works just fine (and some poly leader come with a loop already in the tippet end for that purpose.) That said, I sometimes do use tippet rings. I don't remember the brand -- they come in a little plastic container on a snap swivel that has no name on it. The packaging that the container came in does have the brand name but I don't have any unopened packages at the moment.

I use 2-3 feet of tippet to the top dropper and another 2 feet to the point fly.
Bob
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:12 pm

I'm a fan of the Airflo Poly Leaders. I use the 10 foot lengths on my switch and two hand rods. That being said, the do transfer over to my single hand rods as well. I use Rio tippet rings at the end of the Poly Leaders, because that's what I'm used to.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:36 pm

REE thanks for the response... my friend at our fly shop suggested the tippet ring which comes with some of the Airflo Polys and not on others. But adding the tippet ring enables easy tippet additions or changes. I have only used the 5 footer so far and like how it casts with a dry fly. Next up is the 8.5 footer Trout+ version for small streamers and maybe an indicator....
ronr

Post by ronr » Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm

redietz... got it... the new Airflo floating polyleaders have just a short section of smaller diameter line "welded" into the leader body... it is to that section that it was suggested that I add the tippet ring.
redietz

Post by redietz » Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:24 pm

ronr wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:37 pm redietz... got it... the new Airflo floating polyleaders have just a short section of smaller diameter line "welded" into the leader body... it is to that section that it was suggested that I add the tippet ring.
I'll often just put a perfection loop into that small section. Some of the leaders come with the loop already there.
Bob
Solitaryflyguy

Post by Solitaryflyguy » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:42 am

Ron Eagle Elk wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:12 pm I'm a fan of the Airflo Poly Leaders. I use the 10 foot lengths on my switch and two hand rods. That being said, the do transfer over to my single hand rods as well. I use Rio tippet rings at the end of the Poly Leaders, because that's what I'm used to.
This is the system I also use 👍🏻
Mike62

Post by Mike62 » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:57 pm

Listen, I've finally hit that magical age where my eyesight isn't cooperating with my brain, or my clubby, retired farmer fingers. I've found myself standing mid-stream, wondering what the hell a 'knot' was, and how to tie one; I love tippet rings...