letumgo
Site Admin

Olive Dun Henwing

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:52 am

Olive Dun Henwing
Hook - Mustad R50-94840 (Size 12)
Thread - Superior Kimono Silk (355/Mossy Oak) - well waxed
Tail - Small bundle of fibers from the hackle
Body - Nature's Spirit African Goat Dubbing (35b/Golden Olive)
Hackle/Wing - Collins Hen Saddle (Barred Rusty Dun)

(*) A well waxed thread makes it easier to work with the course goat dubbing. This stuff has a beautiful translucency (seal-like), which may help the flies fish-appeal.

When preparing the feather, save a small bundle of the fibers stripped from the base of the feather for the tail.

Picture of the hen saddle I am using for this fly. I loved the elongated feathers (makes a really nice rounded wing shape) and the medium-dark dun color.

View from the underside of the fly:

I cannot stop tying these henwing style flies. They just looks so darned "fishy".
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Variant

Re: Olive Dun Henwing

Post by Variant » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:22 am

Well done Ray !
That is my kind of fly , a few materials , simple to tie and very buggy looking.

Lou
In sport,method is everything.The more the skill the method calls for,the higher it’s yield of emotional stir and satisfaction,the higher it’s place must be in a sportsman’s scale of values. RODERICK HAIG-BROWN
Solitaryflyguy

Post by Solitaryflyguy » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:33 am

Beautiful work and excellent tutorial !!! That is a fishy looking fly
Thank you for posting this.
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:56 am

That’s another awesome original Ray! What bobbin are you using with the Kimono thread?
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:16 pm

Bill - I am using a Wasatch Mitch's Bobbin. The arms on the bobbin are long enough to hold the larger Kimono spools without any need for modification. The Kimono silk is working very nicely. No breakage issues, even though it is a finer diameter than Pearsall's silk. Definitely makes a smaller head on the finished fly.

PASSING ALONG A SMALL TYING TIP
After tying several dozen of these flies, I've found a way to more consistently get the wing to set properly over the back of the fly. I noticed that the rotary hackle plies I use has a yellow pad on one side (see pictures below)

The yellow pad gave me a handy reference to let me know which side was forward. When clipping the hackle feather, I make sure the yellow pad is facing in the same direction as the good side of the feather. Once the feather is folded and wound forward, it is easy to know the good side is aligned facing forward. The hackle tip is bound down with a two wraps, and unclipped from the pliers. The tip is then pressed back and tyed down over the back of the fly. Figured I pass along this tip, since it helps solve one of the early problems I was having with the henwing style (twisted tip/upside down wings).

Pliers clipped to hackle tip (yellow pad up):

Base fibers folded back, in preparation for winding forward:

Hackle wound forward, forming the legs of the fly. Note that the yellow pad is facing forward, showing good side of the feather is forward too.

Pliers removed after tip is secured with a couple turns of thread.

The wing (hackle tip) is then drawn back and tyed down. You can tweek the position with a press of your thumbnail at the base of the wing. Once your happy with the position, whip finish the fly forming a the head of the fly.

The photos are a bit blurry. Kinda tough to take pics with my phone in one hand, while tying with the other. Just wanted to show a little detail to make the tying easier for others.

Have fun!

PS - The simple soft hackle version looks fishable too...

wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:37 pm

Thanks Ray! I got into a discussion with a tyer on instagram about bobbins. He has 80 loaded bobbins on his wall. I was wondering if he could recommend a bobbin to use with the Kimono thread. None of his would work without modification.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:50 pm

80 loaded bobbins?! Holy smokes. That guy has invested some serious money in bobbins. Think of all the time he saves when tying... :D

Fishnkilts

Post by Fishnkilts » Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:57 pm

Great tip, Ray! I like the look of the wing and I will certainly be tying some up. Well . . .more like a bunch than some.
That's a great looking fly.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:00 pm

These are really nice Ray. I'm thinking peacock and starling if the starling would cooperate. I tie a peacock and starling keeping the tip on Glanrose style. It is very effective. I like the movement in the little white spot on the starling feathers.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
wsbailey

Post by wsbailey » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:09 pm

letumgo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:50 pm 80 loaded bobbins?! Holy smokes. That guy has invested some serious money in bobbins. Think of all the time he saves when tying... :D
And 40 pairs of scissors!