Heritage Hare & Grouse (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

kanutripr

Re: Heritage Hare & Grouse

Post by kanutripr » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:48 am

Yeah what Martin said. I'm really loving the wonderful variety and different ties everyone is coming up with.

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:08 am

Vicki, i'm really loving what a wonderfully positive spirit you have. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:40 am

Nice fly Ray and nice tying too, Perhaps something for my Orkney-trip??

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:09 pm

Ray ~ I sure hope the 2012 thing in Roscoe happens and you're there. I really would like to meet the person who keeps posting flies like this. Another beauty!!
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:22 pm

Ray,

Another beautifully tied fly. I would be curious to see this on a snell hook myself. It would certainly take it out of the context of all the contemporary ties and put it squarely in the traditional camp. (no emoticon necessary for the pun.) The long shank with tensil tag helps to make the comparison with older flies as well. The use of tensil here is really nicely done played against the hare fibers, and I love to see Grouse done well. It always makes me think there is not a more beautiful feather...until I see a well done woodcock, or partridge, or starling. (insert emoticon of choice.)

Nice fly. This would make a nice example for the question on proportions. The hackle length on this is spot on for a more nymphal stage of large mayfly, but works suggestively in lots of situations. Compare the hackle length here, with some shown in the Pritt plates, or some of Nemes pics. There is a lot of variety in the proportion dept.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Thanks guys (includes Vicki). I hope Rosco happens too.

I had a little time during lunch, so I went back and added detailed tying instructions (see initial post for details), in hopes they would be helpful to someone on this site.

William - I think the same thing about all feathers. Oooo, that ones nice. Hmmm...I wonder what I could use that one for.
Last edited by letumgo on Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Ray, you ever use Chucker.....some call it French Partridge.....gorgeous feathers. i did a couple flies with it that are posted on the atistic thread, first page. i took the feathers from a place on the skin that probably wouldn't be used for flymphs as the fibers are to long.....but the are shorter fibered and more mottled feathers on a Chucker that would be great for flymphs. Quail might be very good as well, and Sharptail Grouse too. Has anyone used these feathers for flymphs :?:
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Mark (willowhead) - I know that Carl (Oldhat) has posted patterns which use Chucar feathers. They are a beautiful bird.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:08 am

Ray,
.....I don't know how to say it (imagine that?) other than you've got the knack (or nack or gnack...spelling is not my strong point) and you know how to photograph it well. What a combination! Your patterns and photography are a sheer joy to look at. You are a true gem!
Your pal,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:22 am

I'll second willowhead's admiration for the French Partridge as source for beautiful hackles. The flank feathers are super on Irish mayfly patterns and one of my most killing spring creek patterns has a delicately marked Chukkar neck hackle paired with a stripped peacock herl abdomen and peacock herl thorax.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"