Second Own Photo

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tie2fish

Second Own Photo

Post by tie2fish » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:42 pm

Using the many suggestions and references kindly provided by members of our forum, I think I may have stumbled onto a combination of camera settings that provides a decent picture. The one shown below is of what I believe to be a "flymph", although it may not meet the technical requirements for that label. It's something I tied up for Dougsden a while back and named, weirdly enough, "Flymph 4 Doug". I wish I could remember the exact recipe, but cannot. I will, however, be pleased to accept comments about the picture quality ...
DSC00008 (220x186).jpg
DSC00008 (220x186).jpg (54.58 KiB) Viewed 10657 times
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Re: Second Own Photo

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi,
The photo quality looks pretty good. You could make the a bit larger, and you need a bit of front lighting to help see the fly better. Good photo editing software is a big help in enlarging photos and getting them to 72 dpi for online viewing.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:07 pm

Slightly bigger with a bit of editing. Five by seven seems to be a good size for posting.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:42 pm

Very nice tye.....beautiful fly.....nice pic. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Yup! works for me. 2nd pic does it, clear enough to see the fly
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:04 pm

Depending on the software your using, you may be able to choose the width of the final image you want. I generally use 640 pixels wide, for most of my posting to this forum. On other forums I use larger photos (1024 pixels wide), to show greater detail.

Absolutely beautiful fly, btw.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:18 pm

Howdy All;

If I want to see one of the photos a bit larger I activate my "Status bar". comes up at the bottom of the screen.
In the right hand corner you should see a little magnifying glass and a % sign. click on the black triangle and you can see the options.
On my computer I can go to 125% before the photo starts to pixilate (get fuzzy).
On some of Ray's pix I have been able to go as high as 300% ! before they started to pixilate....
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:52 am

Nice fly and the photos are coming along too!!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:52 am

Thanks folks. Making it larger is not a problem, as I've figured out the cropping and sizing functions. The "editing" part, however, will no doubt require more software than I have at this point (Windows Live Photo Gallery), and I definitely need to set a better lighting arrangement. Actually, I'm still struggling with the focus aspect -- this shot turned out to be a "fluke" in that respect, and I have yet to duplicate it with other flies. There must be a way to nail it down, even with an autofocus camera; I have searched the instruction manual thoroughly, and have yet to find a focus "how to" for macro work. If anyone out there is familiar with the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W370 and its focus secrets, please shoot me a PM.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
kanutripr

Post by kanutripr » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:44 am

I am so far away from being an expert but I've been having some similar issues with mine as well. I think it is the lighting. I find it works best with strong indirect natural light. I have very little problems in the summer and fall when the light is stronger so I think I need a better light setup. I like to turn the flash off (sometimes the camera stubbornly keeps turning it on) I allow the camera time to focus itself, half depress the button so the camera will let me know if it's focused (either a red box or green box) and then only take the pic if it's green. The other thing is a tripod. I find my hand gets a little tired with all this waiting and a tripod increases the chances. Then I guess if I'm not lazy I could always dig out my better camera that I really don't know how to work well but takes awesome pictures. :lol: Have fun!!

Vicki
Listen with your ears, hear with your heart.