Orange Tag Furnace

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Orange Tag Furnace

Post by Old Hat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:48 pm

I have had this pattern for a while. I saw a similar winged version somewhere a few years ago. (may have been on Donald's site?). I think it was called an Orange Stinger or something to that effect. I liked the look enough to make it a wingless. I have fished both versions winged and wingless with no significant difference.

Hook: Knapek wet #16
Thread: brown silk thread used for thorax area
Tag: orange silk thread about 1/3 total body length
Hackle: well marked furnace hen

I attached the orange about mid thorax area just a bit behind where the hackle is. Then, I ran the orange back and forward and tied it off at the tie in point. Then, attached the brown by running it forward, back, then forward again all ahead of the orange. Tied in the hackle, then ran the brown back to where I wanted it and brought it forward stoppin gjust short of the hackle, wrapped the hackle back and tied it down, then ran the thread to the eye and finished. Then, I did 3 laps around my house, down the stairs, back up the stairs, and down again and settled in with a cold one. ;) Had to add the last part just to make it a bit more confusing. :D
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Re: Orange Tag Furnace

Post by tie2fish » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 pm

That is so cool! I was thinking about taking a break from tying shad streamers this afternoon anyhow, and doing half dozen of these will fit the bill nicely.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 pm

GORGEOUS fly........KILLER pic. ;) .....don't much care for that hook.....but that's just me.....fish don't give a flyin' **** :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:29 pm

Between the color scheme and its durability, that might be the ultimate backcountry softhackle. :)

A question for you, though, about fly design: what exactly are we doing when we build up a thorax on a fly? Are we merely being more "anatomical" in mimicking the natural, even if it's only to the extent of providing an air-bubble or two? Providing a contrasting "aim-point" to short-circuit those trout-y synapses and provoke a reaction? Or is the primary utility "mechanical" in nature; i.e. the physical structure of the thorax supports the hackle fibers and prevents them from glomming onto the hook-shank?

That's a question I've been meaning to ask ever since you posted your "Nemes" box, with its alternating thorax-ed and thorax-less versions of the same pattern--this fly, and the way I envision where it will be used, only makes me more curious.
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Thanks gentlemen for the comments.

Mark: I don't really like the Knapek hooks either. Trying to finish off what few I have remaining. They are extremely sharp and what I call sticky. Hit that point and it's in. Plus for barbless they really hold on a hooked fish nicely, don't know if I've ever lost one with these. However, and I've tried a couple batches, I've found them to be very inconsistent in construction. Open eyes, deformed bends, longer or shorter shanks etc. Also, I seem to miss a lot of hookups with these. I would like to see the point a bit shorter and maybe a slightly wider gape. I have found them to be brittle as well.

CreationBear - I don't have the answer to that one. I mean, I know what I'm thinking when I do it, whether that's what it is about I have no idea. I think of it as a little bit of being anatomical more in the sense of profile and not really trying got represent any specific physical structure. The slower the water the more I believe "profile" becomes important as does color. So, I see the fur thorax as suggesting the swollen thorax/wingcase area of the insect as it is emerging. Trapped bubbles? Maybe. More movement? maybe, I doubt it. It also allows you to play with color a bit more. But again, I think this is a factor of the water variables. It can also have a functional purpose in how you intend to fish the fly. Depending on the material and how it is applied you can help yourself out a bit in getting the fly to ride or sink in the water the way you desire.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm

The contrast in silk, with the contrasted hackle makes for a lot going on in such a simple fly. Nicely put together.

I've never used these hooks, but I like that the eye is somewhere between straight and downward. It's a subtle thing, but I like it.

I always thought the thorax was an effort to give some dimensionality and anatomical reference at least to the spiders. I like the thorax for all the reasons listed above.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:29 pm

Carl, thankx.....you not only go beyond as a tyer/photographer.....but all that added info/explantion is truely rising to the occassion. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:24 pm

Old Hat-- Thanks for elaborating...when I see a fly that has "it" I don't always know what "it" is. :) Am I right that you ran the orange thread down the length of the hookshank first and tied off near the eye, then covered over the top third with brown thread? (Or perhaps your whip-finishes are less obtrusive than mine...)

At any rate, this is also a fly that argues for your "heavy on the wax" approach as well.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:15 pm

Elegant pattern, Carl...Superbly tyed and photographed.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:33 pm

I attached the orange about mid thorax area just a bit behind where the hackle is. Then, I ran the orange back and forward and tied it off at the tie in point. Then, attached the brown by running it forward, back, then forward again all ahead of the orange. Tied in the hackle, then ran the brown back to where I wanted it and brought it forward stoppin gjust short of the hackle, wrapped the hackle back and tied it down, then ran the thread to the eye and finished. Then, I did 3 laps around my house, down the stairs, back up the stairs, and down again and settled in with a cold one. ;) Had to add the last part just to make it a bit more confusing. :D