Breadcrust and Dun 1550

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Breadcrust and Dun 1550

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am

Inspired by Fishhead's last couple of patterns, I looked around to find a way to use this technique. I know there is an old pattern called the breadcrust and it may have been a dry fly...I could have looked it up but didn't. This body is pretty soft, but suggestively caddis like.

Daiichi 1550
Gray 14/0
previously overlooked phasant lower body feather as the body
and dun hen hackle.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Old Hat

Re: Breadcrust and Dun 1550

Post by Old Hat » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:32 am

Wonderfully executed. A couple tail fibers and I know just the hatch to use that pattern for. The technique has great promise in getting a profile that is well matched. Will have to tie some of those up.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:10 pm

There are several things I really like about this dressing, not the least of which is the way the colors blend together to create something very natural.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
fishhead

Post by fishhead » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:29 pm

very nice, I like the dun hackle it blends very nicely
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:32 pm

Breadcrust: I stopped tying them. I thought it was a waste of grouse.
http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox ... arentID=86
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Dubbn, nice link. That is a far cry from what I've put together, although it is a soft-hackle pattern. I would understand if you were using some of the premium feathers from the grouse, but that one looks like more stem than feather, and i would assume it would be one of the more marginal feathers. I always hate the capes where the 12-10 feathers are used up, or I'm missing the best feathers from a wing shoulder. I dont' get rid of the cape, what if I take up bass fishing at some point, or need them for tailing or streamers. But honestly, what am I going to do with capes that are missing that band of feathers across the top of the cape? The pheasant feather I used was one that I never invisioned having any use for...but there it was, and what the hell?

Does anyone here fish the Breadcrust pattern? Know more about it?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:47 pm

Years ago the Breadcrust was the "go to" pattern on the Roaring Fork here in Colorado. When I say years, I mean approximately 30. I didnt try to tie it as I had no idea where to find, or what the hell a Ruffed Grouse was. I would look at the Breadcrust pattern any time I was in a RF Valley flyshop. I tryed to copy it using Rooster hackle palmered, them trimmed short. I developed a little cased caddis pattern that served me well for quite a few years. For the life of me, I cant figure out why I stopped tyeing that pattern.

A few years ago, a friend sent me some Ruffed Grouse skins. I set out splitting the quill and and extracting the pith. I think it's easyer to find urine stained fur from a vixen fox than it is getting that dang pith out. I think I ended up tying two Breadcrust flys. I also thought to myself. Self, in the time it took to prep those feathers, and tie that fly you could have had 2 dozen Hares Ears nymphs tyed.

If tying two flys makes me an expert, then by all means call me "Professor".

Mr. Anderson. You and a few other tyers on this board have some mad tying skills and it is a pleasure to see your creations. The Breadcrust and Dun is a gorgeous fly, and in my opinion, looks better than the fly in the link that I posted. Very well done and my hat is off to you on your original use of material.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:45 pm

Well, Professor, I was admiring the flies tied by fishhead and I vaguely remembered seeing the breadcrust years ago, thinking it was tied more like what I show in this post. It's fun to throw something out there, and I like this pattern too. Thanks for all the background on the breadcrust and for the kind words. It has been a great past few months seeing all the patterns from some very talented tiers coming up everyday.

w
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:57 pm

I like your result, William. Very nice variation. The original pattern was classified, originally as a nymph. I'd say a wingless wet fly for sure.

http://www.flymphforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 3&p=65#p65

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:33 pm

That's a sweet version......... ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com