Grey Ostrich Herl Soft Hackle

Three-to-One (Peacock & Ostrich Herl)
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Re: I wanna herl

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Beautiful........and BOY talk about waste not, want not..... :lol: Tye in the tips for the tail and then wrap........right? Way smart..... :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:28 pm

The inspiration for these flies came from our friend Carl (Old Hat) Sanders. I was playing around at the vice and remembered the wonderful herl-bodied flies that Carl had posted. I started tying flies with different combinations of peacock herl/ostrich herl bodies. I have an ostrich feather that has some nicely tapered herl. The tips of the herl have narrow fibers that work beautifully for tailing material.

The 3-to-1 (three peacock herls plus one ostrich herl) is a beautiful fly in hand. The fibers of the ostrich herl are a tad longer than the peacock herl fibers. When they are twisted into a dubbing loop, the ostrich fibers create a dun-colored halo around the body. I think this looks a lot like gills on nymphs.

Thanks for the inspirations, Carl. Your tying always makes a lasting positive impression.

willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Yeah, that "mix" (bottom fly's body) is fantastic. Fool any fish for sure. You outta frame up some plates of a variety of your flies shadow box style.......make KILLER Christmas presents.........say 20 in a frame........i'll buy one. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
michaelgmcgraw

Post by michaelgmcgraw » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:40 pm

Both are nice flies,I do like the 2nd a bit more.
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:11 pm

Ray, Howdy;

Top one reminds me of the fuzzy buds that pop out on the pussy willow trees, with extras (chuckle, chuckle),
Bottom one looks good as well.. just not as cuddly as the top one.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:32 am

Both are very juicy looking tidbits, Ray. The top one is my favorite of the two from the standpoint of aesthetics (body shape, tail definition, color combination), but the second will probably be the better fish catcher.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:24 am

Ray, these herl bodies must be some of the most effective. The ostrich is very nicely done but I'm with Bill on the second one. I tried a few with pheasant and peacock herls twisted like this, but the bodies were inconsistent (probably great, but not photogenic). If you get a chance to make one presentable I would like to see it. these combos are a great technique, if not exactly durable. I was just reading one of the very old texts (can't remember who) but in the older english the author put it something like "when making these, put your attention to the movement more than the durablity," or something like that. I've always felt that way too. These definitely fall into that camp. Although redietz's brown hackle fly that he posted challenges that.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:00 am

William - I formed the bodies on these flies with a reinforced thread dubbing loop (Mitch's Bobbin). The herl fibers are tightly twisted with three strands of thread and then wrapped very snuggly along the hook shank. When herl bodies are formed this way, I'm confident that they are as durable as a dubbed body. I rarely use herl bodies without some sort of thread (or ribbing) to reinforce them for durability.

On another note, twisting the herl in a thread dubbing loop also helps make the body more uniform (less lumps & bumps). You can adjust the taper of the body by adding more twists (fuller body) or removing twists (narrower body). Once you get the hang of the Mitch's Bobbing, it becomes invaluable for herl bodies.

Besides, I am likely to loose the darned fly to an overhanging branch, long before a fish destroys the fly. Overhanging branches are my arch enemy, along with their sinister allies, nymph-hungry bottom-hugging rocks... Those bastards have stolen more of my flies than I care to report. :x :o :shock: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:17 pm

Very nicely done Ray. Add an olive strand of ostrich to the first one and you have my go to damsel pattern. I love the looks of the second one the most though. It is hard to get a consistent form, but the nice thing is the fish really don't care much.

I have the Mitch's Bobbin as well, works great for me on larger flies #12 and larger, but I have a hard time getting the the tidy look on smaller flies. What size hook and what kind and size of thread are you tying these on? With Mitch's bobbin you are essentially working with 3 strands of thread, correct? 2 strands from the loop and the working strand or have you devised another way?
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com