More from Dougsden

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DOUGSDEN

Re: More from Dougsden (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:27 pm

#5 Tan Flymph....

Hook: Mustad's #94842 or R50U
Tail: 6-8 fibers from the neck feathers (see below)
Thread: Tan colored Danvilles 6/0 waxed
Hackle: A tan with rusty edge feather from the Ginger dun hen that was used in #4 above (again, thanks Bill!). The two-toned effect of this unique feather makes the pattern look "leggy" which I think is more attractive to our friends who choose to dine and live underwater.
Dubbing: Krystal Dub in tan color (it has lots of sheared antron in it!) or as a very good substitute, Bordens Hare-Tron #1 Light Cahill.

Nearly all of you remember my ongoing love affair with the tan flymph. Why you may ask? It's hard to pin down but I think it has to do with experience and confidence in a pattern (and in this case a particular color of pattern). I started some years ago fishing this fly to everyone in the neighborhood and they liked it! As I stretched out to other waters, they liked it too! Since the orig. neck that I've had for years is starting to be a little thread bare in the popular size ranges of 10-16, I am always on the lookout for an all tan neck. This spilled over into a converstation with Bill (tie2fish) and a request by me to pick up a tan colored neck at a recent show he attended. What he got for me was even better than all tan!! I think I am going to change my way of thinking and my receipe to include this new and wonderful hen set that looks sooo cool surrounding the tan dubbing. Again, thanks Bill. Your efforts are much appreciated!
I do tie alot of other famous (and not so famous) flymph patterns and I'm always experimenting with different color combinations of dubbing vs. hackle. For me, none have the charm of just your basic "Tan Flymph" on the waters that I love!
With the blazing speed of 20 words per minute typing,
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: More from Dougsden

Post by letumgo » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:17 pm

BUMP!!!

Come on Doug, stop holding out on us. Shed a little more light on us. I, for one, am going thru withdrawals... ;) :D
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:32 pm

Very nice SBS REE.....i echo Ray's sentiment...........like to see MORE fly (PICS) Dougsden. ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:49 pm

Wow, I can't believe this thread slipped by these jaded eyes--those tan flymphs would make Messieurs Leisenring & Hidy proud indeed. :) (And yes, I am kicking myself that I signed up for a Tan and Dun Hidy flymph for the upcoming swap... :lol: )
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Dear CreationBear,
I am tickled pink (a nice medium shade of tups pink actually) that you signed up for the two flymphs mentioned above! I can't wait to see the products of your talented hands and heart! Please post lots of pictures (everyone do this please!).
With more to do than I can handle (and my lack of tying shows this to be true),
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
CreationBear

Post by CreationBear » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:11 am

Ha, well I am having a serious case of hackle-envy at the very least. :) I'll have to improvise a bit, but I get the feeling that's very much the "flympher's way." :lol:
willowhead

Post by willowhead » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:15 pm

Keen insight CB..... ;) .....i think we learn it from the Trout.......all that bout selectivity.....thas only when opprotunity knocks. Resta the time..... :D
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com