Streamside Gear Survey

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Re: Streamside Gear Survey

Post by William Anderson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 am

As I mentioned earlier, I have been making, in the simplest sense, a couple of other items. One, a very simple straight forward Amadou patch, using a very rich leather (mink oiled) and a Pettijean amadou sheet. I've made a number of these and decided the simplest construction design works best for me.

Same design applied to a piece of felt glued with the same thinned waterproof glue to the leather works for either a line straightener, if you never use any dressing or cleaner on the felt, a cleaner if you do that streamside or a leader dressing if you're fishing dries. The same product works for each application, but you have to decide up front which it is going to be, or carry more than one. The leader straighteners using rubber between the pads produces a lot of heat which works well, but I understand can weaken or at least deminish the strength of the leader-tippet material. I have used the thin felt or my hands/fingers to straighten leaders for years. Anyone else have a preference for this?

I've used both of these items for years, but just made these updated versions recently. Any reactions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I like the simple metal eyelet as both attachment and construction detail. You can hang if with a bead chain as I have done for years, or as I've shown use a leather cord using any number of knots to secure it to any part of your gear. On one bag I have a safety pin stuck on the inside of the pocket and the knotted leather cord trapped and hanging at the right length to give me enough room for comfortable use and to hit the magnet to keep it in place. Again...suggestions would be helpful.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:04 am

Those look both handsome and useful, w.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:32 am

For those who want to take the easy way:

http://www.rusticriverleather.com/Genui ... LY4YK6.htm

I have one of these (a gift) with about 100 flies in it. As William said, if you dry the fly before putting it back, the problem isn't a problem. You could dry it with amadou or a piece of "miracle fiber" towel (from an outdoor shop). I have one such piece which I use to wipe my bamboo rod with, before I put it in the tube. It dries flies as well as amadou does, although not as classy. I bought my amadou patch from Lucian Vasies in Romania (Trout Line). Mighty fine prices and good products. He sells amadou separately too, if you want to make your own.

dd
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:40 am

I am really enjoying this string, especially the photos of fly wallets. DD, you must have a wonderful collection of stuff, judging by the delightful photos you share with us from time to time. And William, your Filson vest pack impressed me so much, I have ordered one.
Regarding drying the flies before returning them to the wallet, Pete Hidy always carried a little travel pack of Kleenex tissue in his vest for that purpose.
Until today, I had never heard of amadou. Expensive, especially compared to Kleenex.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:11 am

gingerdun wrote:I am really enjoying this string, especially the photos of fly wallets. DD, you must have a wonderful collection of stuff, judging by the delightful photos you share with us from time to time. And William, your Filson vest pack impressed me so much, I have ordered one.
Regarding drying the flies before returning them to the wallet, Pete Hidy always carried a little travel pack of Kleenex tissue in his vest for that purpose.
Until today, I had never heard of amadou. Expensive, especially compared to Kleenex.
gingerdun,

Many of "my" photos are borrowed from the net, just as examples. My stuff is average (I think). I bet that Pete, had he lived today, had used a magic towel.http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewItem/46/125/6936 A small piece goes a long way and viscose is made from wood, just like Kleenex.

Amadou doesn't have to be expensive. I use this one http://www.troutline.ro/en/fly-boxes-ey ... madou.html Available as separate sheets http://www.troutline.ro/en/fly-boxes-ey ... madou.html

dd
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 am

For years among other fly dryers (cotton shirt) I have used a patch of chamois on my vest- recently replaced with ShamWow. ;) The finishing touches come from a dry shake like Shimazaki.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 pm

dd, those are really nice. I am amazed at the pricing. I'm not getting any favors in the stuff I ordered. Great design on those too. Nice resource.

Lance, I love that you ordered one of the Filson vests. I'm all jazzed up about mine. I like that it smells like...whatever waxed tin-cloth smells like. Which did you get, if you don't mind me asking.

Roadkill, you've fallen prey to the info-mercials I see. All of these work to dry the flies...but I've only ever stuck them on a patch or more often the seems in my hat to let them dry. Nothing goes back in the box for a few days as i leave them in the hat for the day and then procrastinate getting all my gear sorted out over a couple of days.

The amadou comes in when you're using emergers or dries that need to float, or softies that you want in the film, which I do a lot.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 pm

I was going to post a photo of the vest, but I got a message that "the board attachment quota has been reached." What does that mean?

So, instead of the photo, here is the product description.

FILSON SHELTER CLOTH STRAP VEST S/M/L OTTER
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:01 pm

Here are some shots of another design, using leather and felt, with a nice, hand-tooled sliver-plate clasp:

http://s1265.photobucket.com/albums/jj514/gingerdun/
Last edited by gingerdun on Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
narcodog

Post by narcodog » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Amadou sheets can be had from Dette flies.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."