Molten Twist 1250 (Tutorial / SBS Instructions)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

William Anderson
Site Admin

Molten Twist 1250 (Tutorial / SBS Instructions)

Post by William Anderson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:41 pm

I've never attempted an SBS, but here is a rough go.

SBS updated

Molten Twist 1250

Hook: Daiichi #14 1250
Thread: Griffiths Sheer 14/0 brown
Hot Spot: bright orange fly line backing, melted tip
Body: 3 natural Turkey Tail fibers twisted with small Amber Ultrawire
Thorax: brown mole
Hackle: mottled brown hen saddle

1. Cut the backing into 1" sections. Using a lighter, approach the flame with the material until it just begins to mushroom and melt into itself. Too close and it will go up in flames quickly. If you do both ends, you can use the same section twice as the portion used is actually only about 1/4".

2. Hackle stem stripped further on the wrapping side, tied in by the stem, the proper method. :D Just behind the thorax, tie in the backing line and secure with several wraps. Trim at an angle toward the thorax so the underbody is smooth. Align the hot spot tip just beyond where you would normally end the body so the body proportions (personal preference) remain.

3. Tie in the wire at mid shank along the backing material, then add the 3-4 tail herls by the tips. Bind all three materials neatly to the bend, stopping the thread wraps at a point where a hint of the braid is showning, and will not be completely covered by the first wrap of the herl twist as it is brought in touching turns back up the shank.

4. A note on herl twist bodies. Bind the materials firmly toward the bend, tighter as you approach the bend to assist in the taper. However, on the last 2-3 wraps before the final thread wraps to the bend, ease up on the tension, especially the last wrap to avoid breaking one or more of the herls as you bring them back up the body.

5. To get a bit more of the wire to show and in a more irregular manner, I twist the herls and wire around each other, pulling each in a "V" shape, not just twisting the materials together, and not wrapping one around the other, but as equally as possible. I use a larger hackle plier to bring the twist up the body, but it can be done by hand with such long herl fibers. Allow room for the thorax and hackle and head.

6. Using Bill Shucks special blend of wax, apply to about 1 1/2" of thread, less for coarser dubbing materials. While spinning the tying thread between your fingers hold a small amount of dubbing just close enough to the thread that some is caught up lightly onto the tying thread.

7. Wrap the thorax, hopefully a bit more lively than this example.

8. Take three wraps with the hackle toward the thorax and bind with 2-3 thread wraps coming up through the hackle without binding any of the hackles.

9. Using 14/0 tying thread allows for a 5-6 turn whip finish, sized to personal preference.

10. The hot spot actually has a very bright, unnatural effect. Should get some attention. Yet to be determined. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Izaak

Re: Molten Twist 1250

Post by Izaak » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:46 pm

I like! I like! Great sequence of photos. I didn't know where you were going at first but it turned out great!! :D
DNicolson

Post by DNicolson » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:37 pm

That is a very interesting fly William, I like it a lot. 10/10
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:33 pm

Magnificent! Thank you for showing the SBS tying sequence. I love this pattern.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
chase creek

Post by chase creek » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:40 pm

Very cool way of getting that hot-spot, great looking tie.
"A thing is right when it tends to preserve the integrity, stability, and
beauty of the biotic community. It is wrong when it tends otherwise"
Aldo Leopold
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:42 pm

Dub-ya, Howdy;

Great SBS, each photo speaks for itself well.

Awaiting Dub-ya's version to be verbalized and added to the photos.
That should make it truly, more outstanding than it already is. ;)

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:16 pm

Now there's a trick I haven't seen. Very nice.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 pm

William, I love the fly, nice sbs too!
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:17 am

Dub-ya, Howdy;

I did not intend for my previous post to sound demanding, ungreatful or in any way disagreeable.
I realize that you have a lot to do with life in general as well as getting all of the
'Swapmeister' things to take care of as well. A huge thanks to you for stepping up for that.
Just been spoiled by Ray's SBS's. Should know when to accept things as they are when they are a gift,
as all of the information on this forum is. It's a great gift too. Almost like Christmas 365 (366 this year!).
Thanks once more for sharing with us.
I'll run a soapy cloth through my skull from ear to ear to help clean-up my thoughts...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:44 pm

Hank, your the best. I will add a bit of commentary, but I'm never going to approach Letumgo levels of excellence. I'm sorry I'm just getting to this, I actually spent some time on the water up in PA today. Bob Dietz was kind enough to show me around Falling Springs. Unfortunately we ended up with glorious weather, bright sunshine, no clouds and heavy winds. Like a day at the beach without sand all up in my grill. Beautiful water though and we saw some decent browns that snubbed us and our shadows.

When I'm on my machine I'll update the SBS. Your suggestion was well received. (fill this entire post with appropriate emoticons as needed, my phone doesn't like them. )

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com