head cement

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

tbar24

head cement

Post by tbar24 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:13 pm

what head cement do you prefer when you tie your wingless wets? do you like a water based cement or do you like the strong smellin stuff? or do you just not use any cement at all? i currently am using hard as hull but have used alot of others. generally i just use what is available to me
any input is greatly appreciated
Ruard

Re: head cement

Post by Ruard » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:47 am

I just make two whipfinishes. If I think that is not enough, this is the case with some tying thread, then I use clear nail-lac with a little bit of acetone to make it a litle bit thinner.
To prevent the thread of slipping out of the whipfinish I leave 1mm when I cut it off.

Greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 am

I use Griff's "Thin" Multi-Coat head cement: it dries quickly without any bleeding or discoloration of materials.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
flyfishwithme

Post by flyfishwithme » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:37 am

I'm with Ruard on this and havn'e used head cement for 20 odd years. Three turns on a whip finisher and that is. Give it a small tug to seat the thread and cut off. I definitely don't want the smell of varnish on my flies, the added weight and the aggraivation of an eye filled with varnish just as the fish start rising.
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:47 am

Well,
Here in the states, we have a product known as Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails. It is a nail polish available at almost any drug store or department store. I've used it for years. It even has a nice little brush for applying it. It thins easily with acetone.

Mark
2103_1.jpg
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
Joe Billingsley

Post by Joe Billingsley » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:05 am

I've tried most of them at one time or another. On smaller wingless wets that I use silk on, two whip finishes would make too big of a head so I wax the last 1/2 inch or so of silk and make a three turn whip finish. It helps lock the knot and seems to hold up fine. On flies that I use tying thread on, after reading Charlie Craven's new book in which he says he uses Wapsi's Gloss Coat, I tried it and like it very much. I'm not sure why it's called "Gloss Coat" because it is very thin right out of the jar and a tiny drop is soaked up by the thread quickly without any build up that I can tell. The smell goes away quickly.

Joe
scotfly

Post by scotfly » Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:55 am

Been using fly-tite for a few years now. Great as a feather glue and as a head cement. Colourless, odourless and water based. Best of all, it doesn't go "off" in the bottle like most other varnishes.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?s ... rget=TZ001
mikeytwoshoes

Post by mikeytwoshoes » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:05 am

I don't bother with it for fishing flies. flies for presentation though and occasionally for swap flies I'll use it.
generally use cellire. two or three coats.
gdsaltzman

Post by gdsaltzman » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:44 pm

For freshwater fishing flies, I don't bother since the whip finish holds so well. For swaps and looks I use a coat of thin tyerite and then 2 coats of orvis high gloss.
skunkaroo

Post by skunkaroo » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:35 pm

Depending on the thread I will either use "cement" (Sally Hansen's or Loctite super glue), or just whip finish. For fishing soft hackles I'll usually coat the thread with super glue before whip finishing.

Aaron
Aaron Laing, New Westminster BC
Moderator - FlyBC Flytying Forum
Stream Time Blog - Current Article: The Leggy Blond (Hawaiian bonefish pattern) (January 2011)