Daring Duffer Series - Spider One and Two

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Re: Daring Duffer Series - Spider One and Two

Post by DUBBN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:12 pm

I should explore that style a bit more in the larger sizes. Say 16 thru 12. Works well for me in 22's, but that is using 12/0 thread for the body. Very impressive patterns DD.
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Boris wrote:I don't know much about these types of flies but they are sparse and simple!

I'm guessing that's the aim, and that these are good examples of the art.
Spiders are as versatile and can be tied in as many unique ways as any of the other flies we enjoy, even with such a limited pallet. These are beautiful examples. And I would agree with Carl's description of presentation, but I wouldn't limit them to pocket water, or smaller streams. I find them deadly in nearly every conceivable water condition. In the UK there is often a bit of a huff over presenting these flies down stream on a swing, or upstream on a shorter leader, but I also fish them as dries (suspenders) trapped in the film, even add a touch of floatant or squeeze them with an amadou pad. Cripples, drowns, spents. They make a nice representation, but I have to admit, I don't actually give that much thought as to what they represent, as much as just knowing that they will work with appropriate presentation. The action of the hackle and the recognition of color and in the right size can be very imitative. I'll match the hatch sometimes, but often, send a black spider lower in the column and expect good things. I actually just tied up a few of my "Favorites". I'll get a pic and post one soon. :D

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 pm

I had a lot of fun last spring fishing a black Stewart spider in the smooth flow where a creek entered a small lake. The fish were visible, cruising around in the four to five feet of water in the flowage. I would cast more or less straight upstream and let the fly drift back toward me. There was usually either a bulge where the fly was (when it was still near the surface) or just a flash as the fish turned with the fly. I also used an all-orange spider on another small lake. On the first cast, the best fish of the day took it almost as soon as it landed. Yep, these spiders work. :)
Boris

Post by Boris » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:01 pm

Thanks for those descriptions on how to use spiders, with the where and how you have success with them.

It's certainly an interesting tying approach and has some attractions, not only in the tying but also in the fishing from what I can tell from your descriptions.

Without intending to divert attention from the flies on display - may I just ask, what is the quintessential material for spider hackle? Also which pattern is the quintessential 'spider' pattern?
JohnP

Post by JohnP » Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Hard to beat starling on a black Stewart spider. :)
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:50 am

Boris, would you mind if I started a new thread in the tying section for further discussion of quentessential North Country Spiders? I expect there might be some varied responses and I'd hate to have them hidden away for future reference searches.
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Boris

Post by Boris » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:58 pm

William,

Please do start a thread; I'll be reading with interest.

Cheers
Soft-hackle
Site Admin

Post by Soft-hackle » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Love 'em.

Mark
"I have the highest respect for the skilled wet-fly fisherman, as he has mastered an art of very great difficulty.” Edward R. Hewitt

http://www.libstudio.com/FS&S
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:42 pm

Soft-hackle wrote:Love 'em.

Mark
I'm blushing...

dd
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:09 pm

DD now you have gone and done it. You are making me have the itch to tie up some spiders. Reading about the hooks, and now seeing these little gems, it is more than I can take. I am still making some streamers, that I am behind on. Oh I would love to get side tracked on the spiders. But duty calls. Now there is going to be a thread on spiders too? Dang, I am going to have to get those hooks out. I feel a mess of spiders coming up. :lol: