Two flymphs (Tutorial / SBS)

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

flyfishwithme

Two flymphs (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by flyfishwithme » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:23 am

Hi everyone, I hope you all didn't over indulge over Christmas.
I have been photographing flies for my web-site (I got a 'photo booth as a gift over Christmas) and included a couple of flymphs that I use. I hope they mee the forum standard.
1. BWO
Hook: Tiemco 103BL (I use 15,17n & 19 for this pattern)
Thread: UNi Thread 8/0 - Yellow
Tail: Blue dun genetic hen
Body: Australian possum - natural (this material is fantastic as it is both hollow and attracts air bubbles.)
Hackle: Blue dun genetic hen
2. Iron Blue
Hook: Tiemco 103BL size 19
Thread: Uni Thread 8/0 - Red
Body: Australian possum
Hackle: Genetic light blue dun hen

Now you will notice that there is no rib in these two flies. The reason for this is the way that I the the hackle in. Let me try and explain:
1. Dub the body fur onto the thread as per normal. I don't use anything different.
2. Before tying the dubbing in, prepare the hackle by holding the tip and gently stroking the fibres downward
3. Now start dubbing the body and stop once you get to thew thorax point or where you want the hackle to cease.
4. Pick up the hackle and tie it in at the tip (with the shiny side up) AS YOU KEEP dubbing.
5. Once you have dubbed the body and thorax, wind the hackle forward and tie off. I normally do an extra turn at the head.
narcodog

Re: Two flymphs

Post by narcodog » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:32 am

I have tied my hackle in like that on occasion, usually by accident.

That's two new methods for this week, yahoo.
"I like beer, do you like beer, I like beer a lot."
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:02 am

This is a straight-forward procedure that produces very handsome flies. The color combos, body taper, and hackle placement look really good to me. The only concern I would have is that it offers no reinforcement for the hackle stem, but then I don't expect my flies to last forever anyhow. (If they did, I'd either have to quit tying or buy a bunch more boxes.)
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Hans Weilenmann

Post by Hans Weilenmann » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:36 am

Philip,

I do something similar, but I twist the hackle and the dubbing noodle together, then wrap. Similar result, improved durability.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Hans W

PS Thanks for sharing the flies. You may want to see if you can improve DoF by moving to a smaller aperture if possible.

PPSS Here are some quick and dirty snaps of some additions to the NZ fly box in progress 8-)

Left: SGN (Skinny Grey Nymph)
Right: Scruffy Beetle

Left: Copper Twiggy
Right: Scruffy Diver
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Those are fantastic flymphs, Phil! I need to read your tying instructions a couple more times so that I understand the technique. With results like these, it is a technique I am very interested in learning. Thanks for sharing.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Jerry G

Post by Jerry G » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:43 pm

Nice ties there Phil. They would be very fishy here in Wisconsin. Your tying technique with hackle palmered thru the dubbed thorax is the same that I use most often. Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Jerry
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:32 am

To Phillip and Hans,
Wow!! What a post! Keep up the good work fellows!
Dougsden
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
willowhead

Re: Two flymphs (Tutorial / SBS)

Post by willowhead » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:11 am

Dougie baby....."My Sentiments Exactly"........... :lol: KILLER flies........ ;)
Learn to see with your ears and hear with your eyes
CAUSE, it don't mean a thing, if it aint got that swing.....

http://www.pureartflytying.ning.com