Wilted Spinach variant

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Ruard

Re: Wilted Spinach variant

Post by Ruard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 am

Thank you all for the explanation and the receipe!

Spinach I know but for wilted I only have a negative explanation.

greeting
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl
fly_fischa

Post by fly_fischa » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:32 am

I've really enjoyed following this thread, some beautiful renditions of an intriguing pattern.
Seeing nobody has been willing to put they're reputation on the line I thought I'd jump in with both feet. All this talk about purple this purple that, purple explosions, yap yap yap... :!: Where's the evidence ?
So truth be told I do own some purple dubbing, it's only because it came in a Wapsi dubbing cube, honest to god, I swear. :oops: :?
Here's my purple spinach, Ron Eagle Elk made me do it ;)

Hook: #14 Tiemco 101
Hackle: Black Hen
Abdomen: SLF Prism Hot Purple (Incidental/unwanted ownership, through purchasing a dubbing cube)
Head: Glo Brite no. 4
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:17 am

Ruard,
The fish you catch are really beautiful. That flash of goldish silver surrounded by red when fighting just below surface is a joy to the eye. Roach (Rutilus rutilus) is very difficult to catch on dry fly due to being lightning quick ejecting the fraudulent fly. Do you have that opinion too?

dd
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:14 am

Karsten - I dug out my Ice Dubbing boxes yesterday, with the intention of tying some purple versions. I will use your fly as a guide. Terrific job. Nice to see you back at the vice again.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:38 am

Karsten ~ That is a beautiful interpretation of what REE has been touting. If it must be purple, I cannot imagine anything better than this.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:30 am

daringduffer wrote:Ruard,
The fish you catch are really beautiful. That flash of goldish silver surrounded by red when fighting just below surface is a joy to the eye. Roach (Rutilus rutilus) is very difficult to catch on dry fly due to being lightning quick ejecting the fraudulent fly. Do you have that opinion too?

dd
Yes DD they are really beautiful. The fish I show you was a Rudd (Scardinius erythrophthalmus). Catching Roach is difficult because you have to go down with your fly and you must retrieve your line in a very steady way and slow. The bite, strike, is very gentle and sometimes no more than a little movement on the place where your leader goes into the water: the V as we call it.

Here is a Roach of 32 cm (about 9 inch): Image

greeting
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:39 am

Karsten, your purple will probably play out just as Ron promises. If not, it's a fun fly to see and a sweet execution of it.

Ruard, I love hearing your techniques and seeing this rudd beats everyone else to the punch. Is the wire body of the fly you've tied enough to get it deep enough? how deep is it have to go and how swift are the canals?

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:44 am

William Anderson wrote:

Ruard, I love hearing your techniques and seeing this rudd beats everyone else to the punch. Is the wire body of the fly you've tied enough to get it deep enough? how deep is it have to go and how swift are the canals?

w
Hi William,

The canals are still water. For the Rudd you dont have to fish that deep but for the Roach you need one or two nimphs and go as deep as 3 meter. Each nimph has a bead of copper or tungsten mostly 2.5 mm big: watch your head and your back and fish without a barb.

Greeting
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:52 am

Ruard,
I saw it was a rudd and then came to think of my shortcomings when fishing for roach on top of the water. Maybe I hooked one out of ten when testing rods and lines where I used to live. (The stream was about six meters from my kitchen window). I used to feed large ide with leftovers from the dogs' meals. It was hilarious to see several of them rush to the same piece of food. They displaced a lot of water. Fishing for them would have been unsportsmanlike conduct. I did it just once to see that I could (EHC). Then I started too feed them, which I kept doing for many years. But just once in a while...

dd
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:38 pm

Try for Roach much deeper: in Denmark I have caught several of 10 inch in a river with no trout.

We fish for Ide with a wingless wet on a hook 14: something like a Red Tag with a mottled or partridge hackle.

greeting