Nymphs

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Re: Nymphs

Post by Smuggler » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:39 am

I really enjoy your posts Wayne, this post is no different. I find it admirable that you can tie a sz 20 fly and make it look so good.

This reminds me I need to step up on my contributions.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:14 pm

Golden Stone Size 10

Pats Rubber Leg (Stone Nymph) Size 10

Cat Poop (Stone Nymph) Size 10
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:08 am

Nice. I have been using these, fished dry, for the tiny PMDs that appear on the Henry's Fork in the late season, and the results have been pretty satisfying. I "think" these are 20s, but they could be 22s.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:26 am

Wayne, those #10's look like they would wreak havoc at about any depth. I haven't tied flies like these, but I know I'm missing out on some really productive fishing for big trout and smallies.

Eric, those little numbers are very elegant and no doubt make just the right impression. Kudos on the beauty of these at this scale. Are these specifically a late season pattern in your area or are they needed in early season as well?

Thanks for all the great patterns fellas.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:44 am

William Anderson wrote: Eric, those little numbers are very elegant and no doubt make just the right impression. Kudos on the beauty of these at this scale. Are these specifically a late season pattern in your area or are they needed in early season as well?

w
I use them for the late season Pseudocloeon hatch, but in an appropriate size (16-18/?) they'd likely do well for the standard Ephemerella/Drunella species of PMDs. So far I've only used them in the late season as they were tied out of frustration with all the other stuff I threw trying to imitate the tiny bugs. These were a godsend as the fish actually seemed to like them. :-) We are cursed/blessed with a lot of real little insects in the late season.

Eric
A mountain is a fact -- a trout is a moment of beauty known only to men who seek them.
Al McClane in his Introduction to The Practical Fly Fisherman . . . often erroneously attributed to Arnold Gingrich
William Anderson
Site Admin

Post by William Anderson » Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:46 am

Thanks, Eric. I appreciate your insight.

We have a thread started in the Tying Section from long ago (months) that I started to post patterns relevant to out gathering. I haven't visited that post, nor has anyone, in a long time, but anyone with suggestions would be a big help to fill it in. Adding Wayne's big ole Bitch Creek looking #10's would probably not be a bad idea to that list.

w
"A man should not try to eliminate his complexes, but rather come into accord with them. They are ultimately what directs his conduct in the world." Sigmund Freud.
www.WilliamsFavorite.com
Eric Peper

Post by Eric Peper » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:47 pm

William Anderson wrote:Thanks, Eric. I appreciate your insight.

We have a thread started in the Tying Section from long ago (months) that I started to post patterns relevant to out gathering. I haven't visited that post, nor has anyone, in a long time, but anyone with suggestions would be a big help to fill it in. Adding Wayne's big ole Bitch Creek looking #10's would probably not be a bad idea to that list.

w
Thread has been bumped with the addition of another big ole nasty bug. :-)

Eric
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:32 pm

Wayne & Eric - Kudos to you both! Thank you for sharing these with us.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean