Caddis Pupa/Attractors

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Caddis Pupa/Attractors

Post by DUBBN » Fri May 09, 2014 8:50 pm

The Orange ones should do well as an October Caddis this Fall.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Caddis Pupa/Attractors

Post by letumgo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:13 pm

Man, those are De-pupa-licious! I would like to give these a try.

Can you offer any tying tips? How did you create the furry halo around the thorax? Dubbing loop?/split thread/other? What hook is that?
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 10, 2014 7:00 am

Ray, I use a Mustad C67S. So far in sizes 14-10.
The body is done in a split thread. Usually two colors. One bright, one dull. The dull is dark Brown on these patterns

I know the colors look gaudy, but there is a reason. As soon as the fly becomes water logged and the current hits it, the hackle collapses and envelopes the body of the fly. The bright and dull body material intermingle. I was surprised how such a gaudy fly when dry could look so drab when wet (under water). When the pattern was held a few inches under the surface in slack water, it did not look that different from when it was dry. As soon as the pattern was put in a slight current, it transformed in to a more drab looking insect.

I did very well with this pattern (in Green) last week, and I tied a dozen and a half up for next weekend. One day of success does not translate in to a pattern being labeled a "go to" pattern. I will see for my self in the coming weeks if I caught lightning in a bottle with this pattern, or if it is a one night stand. Either way, I learned a little something about currents and water, and their affect on hackle and material.

Hank, the dubbing you gave me form http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/Materials/dubbing.htm is what I have been using. Wee Folk, Course Dub, and their Antron. Thanks again Hank.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sat May 10, 2014 10:52 am

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1176 ... 8886461118

I do not know if the link will load. It is footage from the Roaring Fork where I fished last weekend. It was taken a few days after I was on the river. The hatch gets thicker. Much thicker as Spring Run-off progresses.

Lots of splashy takes on the surface, but the larger trout are still taking the pupa/emergers

Video from Taylor Creek Fly Shop... Basalt Colorado.
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Sat May 10, 2014 2:14 pm

Wayne,
Your pupa reminds me of a dry version that Carl Anderberg just had caught a 62 cm grayling on, when I met him by the river a couple of years ago. He swears by it. A wet version like yours can't be of lesser quality.
Your fishing is incredible...!

http://www.splitcane.se/index.php/en/a-good-fly

dd
hankaye

Post by hankaye » Sat May 10, 2014 3:51 pm

DUBBN, Howdy;

Wayne, just seeing the results of your tying is thanks enough.
Great looking bugs... how did you do the tails, think you may
have mentioned it before but I do forget things ... chenille
and a bic???

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949...
"Every day I beat my own previous record for number
of consecutive days I've stayed alive." George Carlin
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 11, 2014 8:24 am

daringduffer wrote:Wayne,
Your pupa reminds me of a dry version that Carl Anderberg just had caught a 62 cm grayling on, when I met him by the river a couple of years ago. He swears by it.
dd

I have been eyeing the patterns that use ultra chenille as an extended abdomen for quite a few years. I think the first pattern I noticed using the technique was a "Fox's Pupa" or something like that. I have no reason why I have not tried to incorporate it in to my patterns until a few weeks ago. The extended body fits nicely with the split thread technique.

Looks to me like Mr. Anderberg does a fantastic job of using the technique on his dry fly patterns. He is a very impressive tyer.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun May 11, 2014 8:26 am

hankaye wrote:DUBBN, Howdy;

how did you do the tails, think you may
have mentioned it before but I do forget things ... chenille
and a bic???

hank

Yes sir, Ultra Chenille and a bic.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun May 11, 2014 10:23 am

DUBBN wrote:The bright and dull body material intermingle.
I noticed that on the photo of the wet fly, in the corner of a trouts mouth. The colors blend together beautifully.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
daringduffer

Post by daringduffer » Tue May 13, 2014 11:55 am

DUBBN wrote:
Looks to me like Mr. Anderberg does a fantastic job of using the technique on his dry fly patterns. He is a very impressive tyer.
I cannot vouch for his tying skills, but he is a very talented rod maker. My first contact with Sawyer was Anderberg's Swedish translation (1976) of "Nymphs and the Trout". I bet this Sawyer guy would have approved of the flies you are tying...

dd