Highlander

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Smuggler

Highlander

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:23 pm

When Ray decided on the historic swap a little while ago, I knew I wanted to do a Clyde style fly. Ray didn't mind despite the wing :P .
I didn't know which pattern to choose from and as some of you know, the Clyde and it's style of dressings doesn't have too many publications. Browsing through what books I have I found some pattern's that caught my eye, Murray Bluebottle, Cran Swallow, the Buss Brown.

After doing a bit of digging to get a bit of a background on these, I came across Alan Goodwin's little nook in the internet (and I'm glad I did). If you haven't been to his site www.thehighlanderway.com please do so, it's full of goodies. Anyhow, I wanted to know more about the Clyde, the area mainly. Through emails, Alan gave me the scoop on a lot of things "Clyde". We exchanged photos to be better acquainted and Alan wanted to send me a sample of flies so I could get a good look at proportions, materials etc. This was on Apr. 24th, a week passed with no package, Alan emailed me to see if I had received it and was disappointed that I hadn't. We assumed that it was lost to customs, or somewhere in the postal limbo. :(

Yesterday I got a small little package in the mail and it was addressed from Scotland. I couldn't believe it, I knew what it was right away without looking who it was addressed from! This is what was inside: Image
A handful of small Clyde style flies and some slightly larger patterns for loch fishing. All are gorgeous but there were a couple that stuck out to me.Image Image Image Image Image

What a lovely gesture, I told him I may have to get that Cran Swallow a bit wet :D. I probably won't though, these I'll keep a hold of!
Alan is a complete gentleman, he didn't have to do that at all.

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy these as much as I do.
letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Highlander

Post by letumgo » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:52 pm

Beautiful flies Eric. You should think about getting them framed. It would make a lovely display near your tying desk.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:44 pm

Probably not a bad idea Ray, I think I'll do that.
Premerger

Post by Premerger » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:56 am

Very nice!
If they mistakenly got to my mailbox, you'd have struggled to get them back :mrgreen:
It's excellent that they have arrived in the right place and I'm looking forward to tying up my own Blae and Harelug.
How hard can it be?
gingerdun

Post by gingerdun » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Thanks for reaching out to Mr Goodwin, and for sharing his flies with us. Definitely a kindred spirit, wings or no wings.
Ron Eagle Elk

Post by Ron Eagle Elk » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:13 am

Alan is, indeed, a kindred spirit and dresser of beautiful highland flies.

If there is an interest in Clyde style flies I can suggest Clyde Style Flies and their dressings by John Reid as an excellent reference work.
"A man may smile and bid you hale yet curse you to the devil, but when a good dog wags his tail he is always on the level"
Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:45 am

Thanks Ron. I have a copy and it's a great read.
Kelly L.

Post by Kelly L. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Wow those flies are sweet. Definitely frame worthy! Congrats, you have a lovely collection there.