Golden Stone attempt

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

DUBBN

Golden Stone attempt

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:06 pm

I am trying to imitate the "D-Rib Golden Stone. I substituted the D-Rib with Clear tubing , and added color to the tubing (Yellow and Brown) and clear scud back (Tan/Brown mottling) with markers. Not looking good to me, but definitely fish worthy. I will buy some Golden Stone D-Rib next trip to the shop. I bet it will lay out better for me.

letumgo
Site Admin

Re: Golden Stone attempt

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:15 pm

Sweet flies Wayne. What hook did you use for these? I like the profile from the longer shanked hook. The partridge hackle legs will bring these flies to life.

Did you color the fly after tying, or during? One of the flies looks like you colored the body before wrapping the tubing forward.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:22 pm

letumgo wrote:Sweet flies Wayne. What hook did you use for these? I like the profile from the longer shanked hook. The partridge hackle legs will bring these flies to life.

Did you color the fly after tying, or during? One of the flies looks like you colored the body before wrapping the tubing forward.
Mustad 79580 Streamer hook, size 10.

I colored during and after. Two flies have a Brown/Copper core in the tubing, and yes, one the back was colored brown before and after wrapping. Trying to make them look a lot neater. We all know the foundation of thread will dictate how well your wrapped patterns look. I thought I had done an excellent job of laying the foundation. I just could not get the tubing to lay correct. Another note. Two flies have lead as a thorax. Still trying to figure how many wraps of lead I want, and where to place it in the thorax.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:32 pm

The lead can also be tyed in along each side of the hook shank. This would result in an evenly weighted fly, and should broaden the body profile.

My kids bought me a set of Sharpie fine tipped markers for Christmas. I like the smaller tips, for fly tying. I had been using regular Sharpie markers, but found they were too big to do small stuff.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:39 pm

letumgo wrote:The lead can also be tyed in along each side of the hook shank. This would result in an evenly weighted fly, and should broaden the body profile.

My kids bought me a set of Sharpie fine tipped markers for Christmas. I like the smaller tips, for fly tying. I had been using regular Sharpie markers, but found they were too big to do small stuff.

Agreed on tying the lead on the sides for the flatter profile. 30 to 60lb Mono can also be used if you prefer the pattern unweighted.
tie2fish

Post by tie2fish » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:59 pm

I've seen probably 100 stonefly nymph patterns in my lifetime, and none better than these. If there any patterns I've posted that you particularly like, Wayne, I'll gladly trade you six of them for a half dozen of these. Seriously.
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:13 pm

Wow Bill! Thank you so very much. Your opinion means a great deal to me!
DOUGSDEN

Post by DOUGSDEN » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:20 pm

Geeze Wayne, these look great! I can't believe how buggy they look. Like they just crawled out of the stream and landed on your round magnet. Where did you come up with that? It's gotta be strong to suspend three or more heavy weights at a time!
Great stuff friend! I always like to see your name pop up on the different threads of the forum! I know there is something good to follow!
Dug
Fish when you can, not when you should! Anything short of this is just a disaster.
DUBBN

Post by DUBBN » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:36 am

Doug, years ago my neighbors were throwing out some old broken toys of their kids. I have no idea why, but I was given a half dozen of these little cylindrical tubes, that had a magnet on each end. Eventually the magnets started falling out of the plastic cylinders. Strongest little magnets I have ever had. Each one is about the diameter of a number two pencil eraser.

The magnets stick to the neck and base of my tying lamp. Keeps my tyed flies and needle for splitting thread out of the way.

Photo when the magnets were still in the cylinders

Photo of the magnets and ball bearings that use to be sold as a toy/building kit.
Ruard

Post by Ruard » Mon Feb 02, 2015 12:51 pm

Very nice flies Dubbn: Awesome!!

Greeting

Ruard
There will allways be a solution.
http://www.aflyinholland.nl