Woohoo first post!

Moderators: William Anderson, letumgo

Old Hat

Woohoo first post!

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:12 pm

Oh yeah!
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
tie2fish

Re: Woohoo first post!

Post by tie2fish » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:20 pm

Really? How far down this slippery slope dare we go? Anything with soft hackles?
Some of the same morons who throw their trash around in National parks also vote. That alone would explain the state of American politics. ~ John Gierach, "Still Life with Brook Trout"
Old Hat

Post by Old Hat » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:24 pm

This is a crawl upwards from "Nymphs" IMO.

I do agree though when the title says "A Forum to Discuss the Wingless Wet Fly"

I'm on the fence...and its rather uncomfortable.
I hate it when I think I'm buying organic vegetables, and when I get home I discover they are just regular donuts.
http://www.oldhatflytying.com
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Bill,

I understand your concern. Any changes to the forum come with the risk of upsetting the longstanding balance of the forum. The winged wet fly section is intended to contain the types of winged wet flies that were fished by Skues, Leisenring and Hidy, Hopefully, along side the simple European winged wets (i.e. - Clyde, Tummel, Derbyshire, Tweed, Hampshire, Teme, Usk, Commonplace, Henwing, etc.) style flies.

In the past I have posted these sorts of flies into the "Fishing Cabin" section of the forum, even though I think then are very closely related to the wingless wet flies, and their history. Unfortunately, these posts quickly get lost among other things in the Fishing Cabin. It is sometimes difficult to go back and find them between the other types of general posts in the Fishing Cabin.

Yes, it could be a slippery slope, but one I am hoping one that can be embraced without damaging the nature of the Flymph Forum we love so much.
Ray (letumgo)----<°))))))><
http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... er=letumgo

"The world is perfect. Appreciate the details." - Dean
Roadkill

Post by Roadkill » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:46 pm

Not what you had in mind Ray :?: ;) :twisted: :D
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:48 pm

Not quite...troublemaker... ;) :D

Smuggler

Post by Smuggler » Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:59 pm

letumgo wrote:Bill,

I understand your concern. Any changes to the forum come with the risk of upsetting the longstanding balance of the forum. The winged wet fly section is intended to contain the types of winged wet flies that were fished by Skues, Leisenring and Hidy, Hopefully, along side the simple European winged wets (i.e. - Clyde, Tummel, Derbyshire, Tweed, Hampshire, Teme, Usk, Commonplace, Henwing, etc.) style flies.

In the past I have posted these sorts of flies into the "Fishing Cabin" section of the forum, even though I think then are very closely related to the wingless wet flies, and their history. Unfortunately, these posts quickly get lost among other things in the Fishing Cabin. It is sometimes difficult to go back and find them between the other types of general posts in the Fishing Cabin.

Yes, it could be a slippery slope, but one I am hoping one that can be embraced without damaging the nature of the Flymph Forum we love so much.
This needs to be stickied at the top so members get an idea on guidelines.
letumgo
Site Admin

Post by letumgo » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:02 pm

Unfortunately I do not have the necessary privileges to "sticky" posts. Perhaps Jim could help out with this.

UC Steve

Post by UC Steve » Fri May 15, 2015 8:34 pm

My opinion, winged wets are very similar to wingless wets, the two representing different stages of an insect. One might argue that a winged wet tied to simulate an emerging insect (& many do emerge fully winged) is the very definition of a flymph. Both are useful. Leisenring carried both, & for good reason; & nowhere in his writings have I found any indication that he defined the soft-hackle style by a lack of wings, but rather, defined it by natural materials, motion & obfuscation (simulation). It is an approach to design that is not limited to the wingless designs alone. Nor is it limited to the examples given on that old English fly chart, forgive me for saying so. I suspect adherence to the wingless designs alone was not what Leisenring had in mind, he was far too practical an angler for that kind of tight framing. Just my take. I've no say about what defines this place. In any case I am glad to see this fitting addition. And yeah, I'd say it is a step up from the 'nymph' section -- & hey, if the 'nymph' section didn't pollute the place, then I certainly doubt this will.
FliTrap

Post by FliTrap » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:36 pm

Roadkill wrote:Image

Not what you had in mind Ray :?: ;) :twisted: :D
Hmmmmm.... Could be just "unfinished"... put it back in the vise and throw some big hackle to it!